Thread: Richard T. FIELDS, VA

Richard T. FIELDS, VA

I am searching for any information to help verify that my g-g- g grandfather Richard T. FIELDS and/or his wife were of Native American heritage.

Richard T. FIELDS b. Abt 1808 was either born in Russell Co. VA - or- he lived most of his life in Russell Co. VA.

Richard T. FIELDS married a "Mary" ( maiden name unknown.) She may also have been of Native American heritage.

Richard and Mary FIELDS had ten children. One of these, John A. FIELDS is the line I descend from. John A. FIELDS b. 1839 Russell Co. VA married Sarah HARMON.

I would be most happy to hear from anyone who may be able to shed some light on these ancestors.

Thank you, very much!

Greta in Lake Placid, FL.
    Researching Bausell, Fields, Elliott, Harmon, Parsley, Ryburn, Trim. in VA.
    Greta Rassel
    Lake Placid, FL

Welcome to the forum !
    If I had a Harmon (I do, but in 1710 Penn.), I'd check them.
    Russell Co was common ground for relatives of many people on this forum, i.e., Adkins, Mullins, Collins (Griffin, Burgess & Samuel), Gibson, Lucas, Lawson, Williams and a bunch more were in 1850 Russell Co.

Sarah Harmon's parents were Henry (W.) Harmon, b. about 1818/19, in "Giles Co., Va". per the 1850 Russell Co Va Census, 54th District, p. 227 A, 25 July, at 125, 125, listing his wife Rebecca, 27, b.Russell Co; with the following children b. Russell Co.: William, 9, Sarah A., 7; James, 6; John, 4; Mary, 2; Jesse, 7 months.
    [William d. 25 Dec 1862 (Russell Co genweb, 1862 Death List)]
    Other families living near Henry Harmon who were also b. Giles Co., Va include Lewis Bradley, Jeremiah Williams and James White and I'm sure there's more.

On the 1880 Russell Co census, Henry's widow Rebecca lived next door to John and Sarah Fields, ED69, Lebanon District, p.85A.
    [Other Russell Co census: 1860, p.77, at 498, 498. 1870 at 88, 88 (oops, didn't write down the page number ! )
    John & Sarah Fields are at 25, 25, p.308A.]

Bear in mind that John T. Fields (prob Richard T.'s brother) did have a son named John A., b.abt. 1835.

Henry W. Harmon is on the1840 Giles Co census along with :
    Robert W., 20 to 29.
    David, 50 to 59.
    Robert W. Jr., 20 to 29.
    Frank, an FPC of 36 to 54.****
    Elias, 50 to 59.
    John W., 20 to 29.
    Parmelia, 40 to 49.
    (FPC = Free Person of Color, was used to designate anyone obviously not white, including Indians.)

The first Fields in Russell Co appears to be Richard and Samuel listed as owning 80 acres each; both turning up on the 1794, 95 & 96 Land Tax Lists posted on the Russell Co genweb site. (This Richard is probably the grandfather of your Richard T. as he was over 45 yrs old in 1820.) Personal Propery lists also show other Fields in the same "Upper District" who did not appear on the Land Tax Lists: John, Joseph & William.

A Francis Fields, 94, f, NC, is living with Calvin T. Fields in 1850 Russell Co so they may have come from NC. Several other older Fields in Russell Co were also born in NC. Chatham Co might be a good place to start looking for them there, back to 1770 when it was created from Orange Co., NC.