Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help finding Dissertation by a Richard Carlson

Richard Carlson

Hi to all:

I live about 35 miles south of Richard. In 2002 my mother and I went to visit him and really enjoyed our visit. We gave him some information which he included in his dissertation. He is fascinating to talk with. We visited with him again this spring at the funeral home, when his gr uncle Homer Gullett died. Homer's brother, Ray Gullett, was married to my aunt Mergie Cole.

I purchased a copy of Richard's dissertation online last year sometime. It is so interesting to read. It has information about the Salyersville Indians, which included my Cole ancestors.

I just read the 24 preview pages of this dissertation. What I'm wondering is, does he cover, in this dissertation, the original sources he's basing his claim on that the Salyersville Indians had Saponi roots? I'd like to see how this is documented.

Hello Linda....Richard's source notes are almost ridiculously detailed and very extensive....he cites various references , some repeatedly and others are in his reference notes for other books as well....I'll detail some of the initial sources he used but will have to re-read his first 24 pages to see (unless you know the source number/s he mentions) to determine exactly which source you are seeking. Anywho...his sources are listed in this order....(just the opening few I'll mention here for the sake of timeliness:

1. CA-NIC-1999: Farish Cole Reunion notes: See Chapter 15.
    2. Ibid
    3. Vanisa 1985, 196
    4. Deloria, 1997, 23
    5. Burnett 1889, Mooney 1907, Swanton 1946, Speck 1935, Weeks 1948.
    6. Carlson 1996, Carlson 1998, Everett 1999
    7. Cleland 2001b, vii
    8. Barth 1959. This premise is developed by Barth in his introduction, pages 1-38
    9. Meyer 1987, 261; Foley 1990, 169. See also Ortner 1994, 385-188; Moore 1993, 2-23; Rosenberry 1989; Weber 1947, and McClurken 1988, for various other definitions, as well as critiques and applications of political economy approaches.
    10. Forbes 1989; Owens 1996; Jaimes 1992; Greenbaum 1991; Sider 1990.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    His reference listings are alphebetized, so typing all of them would be a beyond daunting task! Hope this helps to some measure. Take care~~~Laurie

Corbin Ky in the summer and Weslaco Texas in the winter.
    You can get Dr Richard Allen Carlson Jr's dissertation through UMI Dissertation Services or ProQuest Co. A phone number is 800-521-0600.
    Dr Carlson will be in Sneedville Tn at the high school on the 19th of June 2010. He will be speaking about the Saponi Indians. Admission is free unless you would like to make a donation. This conference is sponsored by the Melungeon Historical Society.
    cthorpeky

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I just read the 24 preview pages of this dissertation. What I'm wondering is, does he cover, in this dissertation, the original sources he's basing his claim on that the Salyersville Indians had Saponi roots? I'd like to see how this is documented.
    Linda, I can't speak for this, but I am tracing my family back on the Parker side and have traced them to Saylor's Creek in what is now Amelia, Virginia. Civil War fans will note one of the last battles Lee's men fought was at Saylor's Creek. Just south of the battlefield was Sappony Cabins, an area the Sappony Indians settled when they were moved from the Sappony Creek in what is Chesterfield, Virginia today.

Part of this group went to Cumberland, Virginia. They were Parkers, Gill, Hudgins, Thackers, Corn, Collins, White and Perkins. Several of these names still exist in numbers in Chesterfield and Amelia and trace their families to the small church on Sappony Road, now closed to the public (road, not church. Church burned to the ground around the turn of the century.).

Whether this has a bearing on the other Cumberland and Saylorsville or not, I can't say.

just a thought... Allen
    Maternal:Allen, Bell, Brinson, Burrus, Credle, Fisher, Gibbs, Hodges, Marsh, Sawyer, Waltres

Paternal: Atkins, Bagby, Beverley, Bradby. Brown, Guthrey, Langhorne, Mann, Palmore, Parker, Perkins, Terril, Walton, West

Thank you Allen, that's very useful. Hope you can come to the Occoneechee State Park pow wow in Clarksville, VA the day before Mother's Day. It would be great to meet you!

Richard Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I got the following message today:

Does anybody know any details about where this can be found? What university sponsored it?
    Linda, I have all of this work done by Carlson. It was his disstertation, Who's Your People for his Phd. It can till be ordered at Proquest but he turned all of the work over to me. I am in the process of reworking to take out most of the highly technical details to make it more readable and usable.

I have the pictures, graphs, cd, the entire works.

Kathy
    Collins, Gibson, Sexton