Thread: Today's Headlines...Hatfield and McCoys

Wink Today's Headlines...Hatfield and McCoys

PIKEVILLE, Ky. - Descendants of one of the nation's most famous pairs of feuding families, the Hatfields and McCoys, will face off in court to settle a dispute over access to a cemetery where three slain boys were buried.

``I really hate that we have to go to the court system to settle this,'' said Bo McCoy of Waycross, Ga., a plaintiff in the lawsuit against a Hatfield descendant who blocked access to the family cemetery.

``We wanted to be gentlemen about it,'' McCoy said. ``We felt like we had no other choice.''

The cemetery, which holds remains of three McCoy boys who were tied to pawpaw trees and executed by the Hatfields in 1882, is too important historically to remain closed to the public, McCoy contends.

Larry Webster, an attorney for Hatfield descendant John Vance, whose property stands between the cemetery and the nearest road, said the case pits an individual family that wants some privacy against the interests of tourism and economic development officials.

Vance had posted ``no trespassing'' signs on the property before a judge granted an injunction this year giving temporary access until a jury decides the issue. The trial is set to begin Jan. 22.

``This was designed to get national headlines, and designed as a way to get free advertising for people who hope to make a profit from these things,'' Webster said.

The feud between the McCoys of Kentucky and the Hatfields of West Virginia is believed to have stemmed from a dispute over a pig. A court battle over timber rights escalated the tension in the 1870s. By 1888, at least 12 people had died.

Bo and his cousin Ron McCoy, organizers of the annual Hatfield-McCoy Reunion Festival in Pikeville, want the cemetery to be part of a tour highlighting points of interest in the bloody feud. Economic development officials hope the feud sites and cemeteries will draw tourists to the mountain communities.

12/28/02 09:06 EST

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before here, but my friend, Thomas McElwain, believes that this feud had its origins in customs around blood justice that were held by Iroquoians who never got used to the League's assuming judgement in these matters. These people left the league and formed the basis of the Indian communities that eventually fled to the mountains to be left in peace.

William Collins born 1806 Russell Co. virginia, s/o Meredith married 1) Mary Mullins 2) Maryann Hatfield.
    Life is Like a Rainbow....Made up of Many Different Colors

May I ask what the McCoy's and Hatfield's have in connection to Saponi?
    "Sty yu "
    (Have Strength in Your Journey !)
    Dody McCoy
    researching surnames-
    1.) Stout, Hubbard, Hitchcock, Kyle
    2.) Austin, Quall, Lamb, Maybee, Pinson (Va., N.C., Tn., Miss., Al., Ga.)
    3.) Littlemeyer, Luetkemeyer, Kleinschmidt, Martin, Fitchpatrick (IL., Ky., Mo., La., Oh., Prussia / Germany)
    4.) McCoy, Runyon, Varney, Taylor, Maynard, Hrenstreet, Campbell, Reamer (Runner), Koger, Stagerevaltz, (HunterVa., N.C., Tn., Ky., M.D., Mo., Ka., Pa.)
    5.) Payton, Sherman, Yount, Little, Bryant (Oh., Ky., Ia., Mo., Ka.)

Remember........
    When you Harm the one, You Harm the whole !
    When you Help the one, You Help the whole !
    For we are all Related !

"O ta sa la nv lvi"
    ( We are All Brothers and Sisters ! )
    " Mitakuye Oyasin" < Lakota >
    ( We are All Relations ! )

Welcome Fire. Thanks for joining us. What they seem to have in common is some community. Your Hithcock may be Saponi. That's a comon name among Saponi descended families, particularly those that migrated out.

Question

Linda,
    Thanks for the quick responce. But I don't get it, What do you mean...What they seem to have in common is some community.
    My Hitchcocks were from North Carolina. Elizabeth "Betsy" Hitchcock born 18 Jan 1801, NC. Dua of Willaim "Issac" Hitchcock, Jr., B. 1780, Rowan Co., North Carolina. D. 1866, Bur. Hitchcock Cemetery At Dry Creek in Hardin Co., Tn. and Catherina Lopp, B. 1781, Ash, North Carolina.
    Betsy married Andrew Stout, B. 1 Oct 1799, Sevier Co., Tennessee. D. 1 Jan 1882, Hardin County, Tennessee. Son of Robert K. Stout, B. 13 Oct 1772, D. 29 Sep 1835. and Nance Kyle (Spelling?) B.,8 Feb 1781, Va. D.,15 Feb 1862.
    The Hitchcocks were big wiggs in Hardin County Tennessee in the 1800's. Owned a lot of land, the ferry, sawmill ect. I have been very blessed that, Some distant cousins have shared the info on several generations of data on Betsy's ancestors and there descendants. Though none of this info mentions NA blood for the Hitchcocks. But as we all know who have "found out" about our "Passing" ancestors they just didn't tell anyone, so I figure anything is possible ;^)

Originally posted by Linda
    What they seem to have in common is some community. Your Hithcock may be Saponi. That's a comon name among Saponi descended families, particularly those that migrated out.
    "Sty yu "
    (Have Strength in Your Journey !)
    Dody McCoy
    researching surnames-
    1.) Stout, Hubbard, Hitchcock, Kyle
    2.) Austin, Quall, Lamb, Maybee, Pinson (Va., N.C., Tn., Miss., Al., Ga.)
    3.) Littlemeyer, Luetkemeyer, Kleinschmidt, Martin, Fitchpatrick (IL., Ky., Mo., La., Oh., Prussia / Germany)
    4.) McCoy, Runyon, Varney, Taylor, Maynard, Hrenstreet, Campbell, Reamer (Runner), Koger, Stagerevaltz, (HunterVa., N.C., Tn., Ky., M.D., Mo., Ka., Pa.)
    5.) Payton, Sherman, Yount, Little, Bryant (Oh., Ky., Ia., Mo., Ka.)

Remember........
    When you Harm the one, You Harm the whole !
    When you Help the one, You Help the whole !
    For we are all Related !

"O ta sa la nv lvi"
    ( We are All Brothers and Sisters ! )
    " Mitakuye Oyasin" < Lakota >
    ( We are All Relations ! )

Sounds like a great "Shoot the Breeze" topic to me.

The French-Eversole feud in Eastern KY eventually lead to the burning of the Perry County courthouse in Hazard.

Apparently, somebody didn't like the judgements that were being handed down. Both sides evenutally had small armies. The state militia were called in with little result. As soon as they went home the shooting started again.

When I read the account of the feud I found that many of the major players were probably ancestors of mine (Campbells, Morgans & Combs). It looks like I was probably related to the judge that neither side was fond of as well as a few armed assassins on both sides.

Feuds in the Hills

I've heard that feuds were part of the Scottish and Irish clan system and was brought to the Hills by those social groups. Maybe that's part of the reason and if you include NA clans and disputes, you get a double whammy backing blood feuds. Lord knows once a grudge started back in those hills, they lasted forever.
    Grace