Thread: Roberts Settlement, Hamilton County, Indiana

Lightbulb Roberts Settlement, Hamilton County, Indiana

Hello all! I was happening to be browsing through some old posts, and someone mentioned the Roberts Settlement in Hamilton County Indiana. It was one of the first "African-American" settlements in Indiana, but had been thought to have a "Melungeon" or multiracial history. I'm interested in anything you can tell me about it. Believe it or not, I live two miles from it-- and I know nothing. People call it the Black settlement, but it was mentioned here, so I thought I'd see... Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Caryn

Indiana

can you tell me where Hamilton County Indiana is? Is it anywhere near Pike or Gibson County? I have relatives of ancestors named "Hamilton" Richey born in Gibson County Indiana and "Cicero" Wayland (b. Ar) and I saw both those words.

A long and unlikely shot I know , , ,

vance

Goodness!

You'll never guess what the name of the town is where I live.... its Cicero, Indiana. Isn't that funny?

Hamilton County is the county just north of Marion County-- which is the county where Indianapolis is. You're in Oklahoma, right?

Roberts Settlement

"Southern Seed, Northern Soil", by Dr. Steve Vincent, is the best work on the history of Roberts Settlement. Very quiet rural community. STill holds an annual homecoming at the church. Other names associated w ith the Settlement were Hammonds, Rickman, Revels, and a scattering of other familiar mixed-race names from the NC/Va. border region. Strong tradition in Roberts family of Indian ancestry from Northampton Co., NC. The community has eroded considerably in recent generations.

Forrest,
    The Roberts of NHCO, NC, are they around Occaneechi Neck? And, any connection possibly to the NDN Roberts of York County, VA?

yeah I'm in Oklahoma. it was g-g and g-g-g-grandparents that were in Indiana

but they were clearly in another part of Indiana i guess

vance

Migration patterns

I'll check into where Gibson and Pike Counties are. A lot can be said about migration patterns into Indiana by people of different cultures-- where they went and such. Indiana is quite a fascinating place, in my opinion, because it is the center-- almost an amalgamation of cultures into one place, I say this because many customs lost their identity over many years, but they have stayed just the same. Being a Midwesterner gives you such a rich sense of what a role our region, and especially state, played in the migration of other sorts of people into the west. I remember asking my grandfather why our family didn't move west like others did-- my family had been in Tennessee from 1790 until 1940 when my grandparents moved up to Indiana... I always came up with these absurd stories of renegade Indians in my mind, that they escaped the Trail of Tears and moved into the Appalachians to live as white men. He said simply that it was because of money. His family had not been able to move before because they couldn't afford to. AND, they didn't want to. The hills are gorgeous, especially when you wake up and look out into the morning mountain mist. The thing was, Indiana was my family's promised land-- from way back when... just like the promise of land out west was the promised land for others. Just as migration patterns are important for animals, they are also important to people-- and tell us a lot about how they lived and died.

I always came up with these absurd stories of renegade Indians in my mind, that they escaped the Trail of Tears and moved into the Appalachians to live as white men.
    Actually, that scenario pretty much describes the Collins family, doesn't it, Brenda? And countless others.