Thread: Tutelo Lessons are now found Here

Tutelo Lessons are now found Here

Our Tutelo language workshop can now be found here:

http://saponitown.com/tutelo/

Currently, these lessons are just vocabulary words that you can listen to. It'll take a while to get to sentences. Questions and feedback are welcome.

For those of you interested in Tutelo-Saponi language, there's currently about 250 posts on the Tutelo language site, including an explanation of the pronunciation and alphabet I use at Saponitown. Most posts are soundfiles, so you can hear a best guess of how the words would have sounded.

More posts are planned for the future.

Born and raised in Mecklenburg Co., VA but now reside in Northern, VA

This is Great!!

I know I am late with this response, but this is awesome. I am trying to learn on my own. With the help of the recording, I have learned how to count to 9; say "God"; say "water"; and say "thanks" among other things.

However, the link to the recordings are not available. Is there another link?

Thanks Linda and everyone else for starting this opportunity to learn our native tongue.
    God's Child----Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

I can't access the link . . . I'l love to learn Tutelo as well!

I can't seem to access the link - how do I get on? It says its no longer available. Am I too late?
    Maternal: Buford (OK), Edgenton/Edgington/Edgerton (NC/VA), Gross (NC/VA), Logan (NC), Hancock (NC), Emery (AL); Robinson (VA).
    Paternal: Greene, Singleton, Cherry, Haskins (all Collinsville, IL)

Ottawa, Canada -unceeded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    I'm also interested in hearing the pronunciation. The saponitown.com/tutelo and saponitown.com/tutelo-vocabulary links are still down from what I can see. I there anywhere else to find it?

biilhug

Sorry, I haven't posted in here for a while, up to my neck in another project currently. The site was moved to this location. Let me know if theres issues

http://tutelo.org/
    VA- Akin, Ballard, Berry, Branch, Bryan, Butler, Bunch, Cooke, Deane, Ellis, Glenn, Hancock, Herndon, Kendall, King, Lawrence, Lee, Martin, Meade, Moore, Napper, Neal, Pendleton, Powell, Ritchey, Riddle, Savage, Scott, Sheppard, Smith, Stanley, Thacker, Tyree, Yelton, Waller, Ware, Winn, and more
    NC- Bennett, Brown, Gatlin, Ivey, Morris, Pulley, Weldon, Whitehead
    KY-Cox, Hall NJ-Gould

Blog Entries
    I looked at the site. I'm curious about the word for iron - maas One of my ancestors was called Massa. In Byrd's account he lists Massa-moni as "paint creek". Massa meaning paint, as in the red ochre in the banks (iron).

In Dakota iron is maza. There are many Dakota names containing this. I'm wondering if Massa was an english interpretation and a contraction of her full name.

I read that Byrd's account included words from other tribes. Not sure if Massamoni was Saponi or another name.

Billahug

Yes, Massamoni is considered Saponi....massa-iron, moni-water....iron creek.

Massa could mean masa, iron in Saponi or a related Sioun language, or it could be something else. In Southern English in pre-civil war days "massa" was also the word that slaves used to address their white masters.
    VA- Akin, Ballard, Berry, Branch, Bryan, Butler, Bunch, Cooke, Deane, Ellis, Glenn, Hancock, Herndon, Kendall, King, Lawrence, Lee, Martin, Meade, Moore, Napper, Neal, Pendleton, Powell, Ritchey, Riddle, Savage, Scott, Sheppard, Smith, Stanley, Thacker, Tyree, Yelton, Waller, Ware, Winn, and more
    NC- Bennett, Brown, Gatlin, Ivey, Morris, Pulley, Weldon, Whitehead
    KY-Cox, Hall NJ-Gould

Blog Entries
    Most of what I pull up searching the Internet is the Master-Massa thing but it doesn't really fit in this case. I've seen massa translated as iron, red, paint... which all fit with each other. I also looked it up in Lenape (Algonquian) and it's basically the same word as in Tutelo (Siouan) Mxke