Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles City VA: Adkins line

Charles City VA: Adkins line

I've ben doing genealogy research for a while now...I'm descended from the Chickahominy Adkins line and other algonquin tribes...I havent ben able to trace any farther back then John and Betsy Adkins in the early 1800's...I suspect that Betsy was Pamunkey and John was Chickahominy...There is a historical document from the National Archives about there son Eli Adkins who lost property in the civil war and it says he was a Pamunkey indian...In the mid 1800's Eli and the majority of his brothers and sisters moved to Charles City Virginia...There children would later reorganize as the Chickahominy tribe...My great great grandmother in my avator above, as well as other brothers, sisters and cousins chose not to join but to blend in with the free colored community...I've heard that she denied any indian blood altogether...

I'm wondering if anybody can help me find the parents of John and Betsy Adkins...there children are Edward, Eli, William, Danial, Allen, Peter, Deborah, Harriet, and John Adkins...If they lived on the Pamunkey reservation then I guess it would be impossible to find them in the census...

My family is triracial and I haven't ben able to locate any white people on the census...I understand that if a white, married a black or a mulatto they would then themselves be recorded as mulatto but would they really then record there parents as mulatto as well?...

Also my great great grandfather was Bohemian does anybody know what this means? Is it Gypsy, White, or Jewish?...

Bohemia is a part of present Czeckoslovokia, so he would have been Slavic, not so far from the Caucasus I imagine, so that would certainly make him Caucasian, even if from the Second World. (We all know what Third World means, and First World, but the Second World was never mentioned as such, it was the old Soviet bloc countries.) The origin of the word Caucasian comes from a scientist who put the name forward because he thought the people in the Caucasus were the best looking white people.

There's also the usage of the word "Bohemian" as somewhat synonymous with "beatnik," but your great great grandfather would have far predated that usage, so I think it's safe to bet the word was meant literally for the country he came from. When was he born? That sounds like an early era for someone from that part of the world to be in the US. Sounds adventuresome. And the local whites likely would not have related to someone so foreign.

Where do you live now? Charles City is crawling with Chickahominy Adkins. I know a few.

"Bohemian" also means someone who is a vagabond, traveler, nomad, wanderer, etc. Just another definition to throw in.

The closest I can come to any information is "possibly" a John Adkins and Elizabeth "Jones" (last name unconfirmed) as possibly being your John and Betsy. Still, nothing found as to who parents may have been.

It has been said that the Jones tie in with my Adkins, and that one of my ancestors may have been a Jones, but I can only find one or two Jones married into my Adkins, but not my direct line, so it is just a mental note but nothing I consider fact at this time.

But the name of John (& Elizabeth...who Boling Bradley is I have no idea), Allen, and Peter Adkins show up, as well as the Jones surname on the 1850 Charles City mulatto census.

http://ccharity.com/virginia/1850cc1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o
    "Bohemian" also means someone who is a vagabond, traveler, nomad, wanderer, etc. Just another definition to throw in.

The closest I can come to any information is "possibly" a John Adkins and Elizabeth "Jones" (last name unconfirmed) as possibly being your John and Betsy. Still, nothing found as to who parents may have been.

It has been said that the Jones tie in with my Adkins, and that one of my ancestors may have been a Jones, but I can only find one or two Jones married into my Adkins, but not my direct line, so it is just a mental note but nothing I consider fact at this time.

But the name of John (& Elizabeth...who Boling Bradley is I have no idea), Allen, and Peter Adkins show up, as well as the Jones surname on the 1850 Charles City mulatto census.

http://ccharity.com/virginia/1850cc1.htm
    Yes those are my Adkins...thanks alot...I wasn't aware that they moved to Charles City as well...The Jones and Adkins family were heavily intertwined in those times...The way they maintained strong native blood was by intermarrying with each other...6 of there 9 children married Jones's...from my understanding documents predating 1850 were destroyed in the civil war so I guess I'll never know...

Thanks for the info Linda...I assume he was born in the mid 1800's...My great Aunt said "he came from Bohemia but looked like a white man" and he married a black or mulatto woman...He does seem like a bit out of place for the time, but I guess there was more then Just English coming over in colonial times...
    I live in northern Virginia...

Found this on the etymology dictionary:

bohemian
    "a gypsy of society," 1848, from Fr. bohemién (1559), from the country name, from M.Fr. Boheme "Bohemia," from L. Boiohaemum (Tacitus), from Boii, the Celtic people who settled in what is now Bohemia (and were driven from it by the Gmc. Marcomans early 1c.). The modern sense is perhaps from the use of this country name since 15c. in Fr. for "gypsy" (they were believed falsely to have come from there, though their first appearance in W.Europe may have been from there), or from association with Bohemian heretics. It was popularized by Henri Murger's 1845 story collection "Scenes de la Vie de Boheme," the basis of Puccini's "La Bohème." Used in Eng. 1848 in Thackary's "Vanity Fair."
    "The term 'Bohemian' has come to be very commonly accepted in our day as the description of a certain kind of literary gipsey, no matter in what language he speaks, or what city he inhabits .... A Bohemian is simply an artist or littérateur who, consciously or unconsciously, secedes from conventionality in life and in art." ["Westminster Review," 1862]
    I guess the question then is, if the "gypsy" usage originating in 1848 France would have been in use in Virginia during your grgrgrandfather's lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by PowhatanBlood
    I've ben doing genealogy research for a while now...I'm descended from the Chickahominy Adkins line and other algonquin tribes...I havent ben able to trace any farther back then John and Betsy Adkins in the early 1800's...I suspect that Betsy was Pamunkey and John was Chickahominy...There is a historical document from the National Archives about there son Eli Adkins who lost property in the civil war and it says he was a Pamunkey indian...In the mid 1800's Eli and the majority of his brothers and sisters moved to Charles City Virginia...There children would later reorganize as the Chickahominy tribe...My great great grandmother in my avator above, as well as other brothers, sisters and cousins chose not to join but to blend in with the free colored community...I've heard that she denied any indian blood altogether...

I'm wondering if anybody can help me find the parents of John and Betsy Adkins...there children are Edward, Eli, William, Danial, Allen, Peter, Deborah, Harriet, and John Adkins...If they lived on the Pamunkey reservation then I guess it would be impossible to find them in the census...

My family is triracial and I haven't ben able to locate any white people on the census...I understand that if a white, married a black or a mulatto they would then themselves be recorded as mulatto but would they really then record there parents as mulatto as well?...

Also my great great grandfather was Bohemian does anybody know what this means? Is it Gypsy, White, or Jewish?...
    Hi PowhatanBlood and welcome~~I am also descended from Powhatan blood primarily from Chief Powhatan's brother Chief Japasaw. I have a pretty good lineage traced to him, but also, if family tradition counts for anything, possibly from Chief Powhatan, also. I would like to compare more with you about these lineages. I noticed you were on line and thought I would connect~Blessings~~Greydove
    Paternal: Fitzwater, Nichols, Hamrick, Summers, Pierson, McKee, Sparks, Reynolds, Bailes, Hart, Martin, Foster, Davis, Hull, Temple, Hughes, Grigsby, Redmond, Bennett, Elkins, Williams, Meese, Petty/Pettit/Pettis, and Ashton. Maternal: Brady, Sellers, Dazey, Watts, Swank, Zumwalt, Wilhite, Wainscott, Stringfellow, Evans, and Jennings.

Hi Greydove....What I wrote is pretty much all I know...I believe Betsy was Pamunkey and they lived on the Pamunkey Res before relocating to Charles City VA...My lines are Adkins, Jones, Miles, Bowman, Brown, Bradby, Bland, and Meekins...I haven't ben able to trace any farther back then the early 1800's...any info you have would be greatly appreciated...

Powhatan ties

Osiyo PowhatanBlood, Here is a copy & paste of a previos post abt my lineage~Patawomeck (Potomac) as of river

Hi All, I've been researching the Patawomeck Indian Tribe of Stafford Virginia~I have a blood~line that runs through several generations to them~(just not all verified and documented~some, not all, but hopefully I'll get there. I'll just go from me back thru the trail that leads to the 1st known blood tie to this tribe. Me~Fitzwater~Dad~Arlie Fitzwater~Grandpa William Fitzwater~his mother~Mary Bailes~her father~Robert Bailes~his father~Solomon Bailes~his mother~Mary Foster~her father George Foster~his mother Sarah Hughes~her mother Elizabeth Grigsby~her mother(1st Indian blood)~Susannah Redmond b 1703 b 1752 Stafford VA ~her parents~William Redmond b abt 1681 Safford VA d? m Elizabeth(possibly Catherine) Elkins b abt 1685 d ?. William Redmonds parents~ John (Wm) Redmond b abt 1650 d ? Stafford VA m Anne Meese b abt 1660 d ? dau of Col. Henry Meese b abt 1630 m Mary Wahanganoche b abt 1645 d ? she was the dau of Chief Wahanganoche and also sister to Keziah Arroyah. There is another tie to this tribe thru Mary Williams b? d? 1st wife of Richard Elkins b 1669 d 1746 Stafford VA~Her parents~Evan Williams and Christian Martin (don't have b & d on them yet) ~ Christian Martin's parents~John Mar`tin and Christian Pettis/Pettus/Pettit/Petty who was believed to have descended from possibly Pochahantas and Kocoum (younger bro of Chief Japasaw (her uncle) from a child born before she m John Rolfe and went to England~a girl named Kaokee who was traditionally known as the mother of Christian Pettis/Pettus/Pettit/Petty Martin ~don't know who her father was.~~ Greydove
    Paternal: Fitzwater, Nichols, Hamrick, Summers, Pierson, McKee, Sparks, Reynolds, Bailes, Hart, Martin, Foster, Davis, Hull, Temple, Hughes, Grigsby, Redmond, Bennett, Elkins, Williams, Meese, Petty/Pettit/Pettis, and Ashton. Maternal: Brady, Sellers, Dazey, Watts, Swank, Zumwalt, Wilhite, Wainscott, Stringfellow, Evans, and Jennings.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~de.../z0000343.html Could any of these be your Adkins?

The Adkins in the link is the Adkins family that I am from. William V., Parker, Little Berry, Jesse, etc., down to my mother. William V., Mary (Jacob Harley), etc. down to my mother. Also William V., Parker, Little Berry, Christina (David Fry) down to my mother. I descend from the same Adkins line, with cousins marryng cousins, seven times I believe.

I really question the Thomas Adkins being William V. Adkins' father thing though. No one knows for certain who his parents were, quite a few guesses, but no hard proof.

I dont think those are adkins in my line but I do see alot of the same names...I do have a Littleberry Adkins in my genealogy book tho...I also noticed alot of people named Tazewell in my genealogy...I'm wondering if there is some kind of connection with Tazwell VA...Steve-O were your Adkins an indian identified family?...

Best proof I can present at this time is this narrative...

http://books.google.com/books?id=vz8...7gFJKUM6WjhYcD

...not in my direct line, but descendants of my line...I traced each one of them.... Look through the other family narratives. I can find no other family described as the Adkins are in this book.

Too much to get into on other items I have pulled up supporting the Adkins being native. But feel this should suffice as "an Indian identified family."

This Is Very Interesting Fore My Family Has The Adkins/atkins Tem.....grandmother On My Father`s Side......

Just an interesting side note, there is a Littleberry Adkins buried in the cemetary across from the church in Charles City along with many other Adkins gravesites. This Littleberry Adkins would not be in the timeframe for the Littleberry Adkins who was the son of Bluesky and grandson of Chief Cornstalk of the Shawnee.
    Researching: Adkins-Vaughan-Collie-Chaney-Wilkinson-Beasley-Mitchum-Childress-Haygood

Yeah, I know. One of the Adkins from the tribe contacted me a few years ago about that. We determined he wasn't the same, but also found it interesting that there was a William Adkins buried there as well. There is a possible connection based on location, but it's yet to be found.