Thread: Fights Like a Bear

When I was asked if I want my picture to be here I said, Yes, Yes, Yes! Everyone knows me, everywhere I go, I am known. Everyone tells stories about me, and all the things I've done. I am Fights Like A Bear. Many an Englishman owes his life to me. I am the one who has shown them where to go, and who to fight and when best to fight them.

And the women know me, and they talk about me, they all talk about me.

I was asked did I live in the circle of ati's by the river, below the fort. No, I did not live anywhere. I was always travelling, always moving, always doing something, always with coins in my bag. But when I came back to the Fort [Christanna] I was not welcome in the village.

The mice in the village did not want me too close to hear what they talked about. They thought I spent too much time with the English, and what little frightened things they had to say I might repeat to them, so they did not want me near. It was they who were glad to see me serve the English and pushed me to it to fulfill the treaty they had made with the English King, but in return they shunned me. When I came to the fort I made my shelter between the fort and the village.

But I don't care. I don't care. Where I am, I am sought out and I stand and I fight like a bear.

So ask me what you want. And if you are a woman, I will be especially sure to respond.

Questions for Fights like a Bear

It sounds like you have done many things and worked between two cultures and born this situation well. You mention you know the country well? How far did you roam, know the land? Did you go beyond the mountains? North? South to Cherokee land? Did you go north to where the English say Iroquois?

Have you always been a traveller/trader? did you do this before you met with the English?

The people were a little "afraid" of what you did? This is why you refer to them as mice? You lived between two worlds and that is represented by how you lived between the fort and the village. Are there any stories you would like to share, I do ask many questions, but since I am female I guess you will respond. With respect and peace, as if you were a brother.

Sycamoreheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Fights Like a Bear
    When I was asked if I want my picture to be here I said, Yes, Yes, Yes! Everyone knows me, everywhere I go, I am known. Everyone tells stories about me, and all the things I've done. I am Fights Like A Bear. Many an Englishman owes his life to me. I am the one who has shown them where to go, and who to fight and when best to fight them.

And the women know me, and they talk about me, they all talk about me.

I was asked did I live in the circle of ati's by the river, below the fort. No, I did not live anywhere. I was always travelling, always moving, always doing something, always with coins in my bag. But when I came back to the Fort [Christanna] I was not welcome in the village.

The mice in the village did not want me too close to hear what they talked about. They thought I spent too much time with the English, and what little frightened things they had to say I might repeat to them, so they did not want me near. It was they who were glad to see me serve the English and pushed me to it to fulfill the treaty they had made with the English King, but in return they shunned me. When I came to the fort I made my shelter between the fort and the village.

But I don't care. I don't care. Where I am, I am sought out and I stand and I fight like a bear.

So ask me what you want. And if you are a woman, I will be especially sure to respond.

Hi Fights Like a Bear. Iím Spill Eddy, born on the Potomac River. My motherís people are from the Yesah and surrounding tribes, from the ocean to the mountains. My fatherís people are from England and other lands far away.

Now that weíve been properly introduced, I have a few questions. First, what village or villages were you born and raised at, and who are your parentís people?

Second, I see you are holding up your end of the treaty your people made with the English. But surely you have seen how the English have broken the treaties with the tribes along the coast and have pushed them off their land. Arenít there folks among your people who believe that by guiding the Englishmen and teaching them how to fight, you are only teaching them about your lands and people so that they can more easily take whats left of your lands when they are ready? How are you dealing with this?

This lady will patiently await her response.

Hello Fights like a bear,
    I am of the cherokee nation.I have visited the spirit world and seen visions of dry rivers.Hoping to find the river that continues to flow, I go on with my journey over mountains,and continue searching for my people, as I seek to further the distance between me and the pale skinned men who seek to steal and destroy the land which nurtures my people.In your travels,perhaps we have met. I was once good with faces,but have lost the names.I have been seperated from my tribe,and I understand the feeling of not belonging,but searching.Please tell of your travels? I am a woman and will respectfully wait for your answer.

How far did you roam, know the land? Did you go beyond the mountains? North? South to Cherokee land? Did you go north to where the English say Iroquois?
    No, I made my way to the border of North Carolina and then I came back. I didn't have to go far, they knew what I wanted and what I represented. I go a little east, a little south, but I didn't go out to the west and I didn't have to go north. I'm not stupid!

I see you are holding up your end of the treaty your people made with the English. But surely you have seen how the English have broken the treaties with the tribes along the coast and have pushed them off their land. Aren’t there folks among your people who believe that by guiding the Englishmen and teaching them how to fight, you are only teaching them about your lands and people so that they can more easily take whats left of your lands when they are ready? How are you dealing with this?
    These people aren't going anywhere, so deal with it. You'd be foolish to think they are. You can live and survive or you can fight and die. They're already entrenched. They're not going anywhere, so what am I going to do fighting them when I know they're going to leave me alone? I'm no threat to them, they're no threat to me. We're fine. They're taking over that land, there's nothing you can do about that. There's enough for everybody. We can live together. Don't be foolish to think you can have all of it. If you take all the fish, what good is it? Everybody can live.

I have visited the spirit world and seen visions of dry rivers. Hoping to find the river that continues to flow, I go on with my journey over mountains,and continue searching for my people.
    A dry river bed? Humm. You must have been back towards Occoneechee Island, Uhh, dry creek bed? Hmm. You are good with faces? Okay, you were coming from Cherokee, that way, along in that area, right when you crossed over the border you died. You said you were tired and wanted to rest for awhile, and took the pack off your back, then you kind of slumped over. You died in a dry river bed, that's why you see it. How can you move on? You died there in the back of Occoneechee State park, back behind the museum, over in there somewhere. It runs behind the park, a creek is there.

Are there any stories you can tell of things you did?
    One time, some young settler kids thought they were big and brave, and shot at me. One came real close and knicked me. I could see the balls coming out, boom, boom boom. But I took care of that. I snuck up and grabbed the rifle and said, "Give me that, you don't even know what you're doing. What are you doing shooting at me?" Just some young kids, they didn't know what they were doing. You dumb foolsI, could have killed you, but that's not my way. You better know who I am and spread the word. I showed them a piece of bear fur, "This is who I am. You don't kill the man who feeds you." They were like young bucks. I wanted them to know that I could have snuck up behind them and slit their throats but I didn't. "So go back and tell your friends and make sure they know. I don't want anybody shooting at me again. Don't ever try that again"

You ladies are like pearls. I know you will be back to ask me some more questions, I'm like a magnet, you can't stay away for long.

I'm hoping that Fights Like a Bear gets snowed in and has some time to tell more stories this winter. Haven't heard anything in a while.

What do you say Fights Like a Bear, do you have anymore stories?