Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson, Cole, Goings In Cass Co., MI

Cole, Anderson

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for letting me join your forum.

I am researching the family of Cole and Anderson. Any information would be helpful. I am trying to find information on a Ezekiel Cole Anderson. I have been told that he was a Cherokee Indian and that he was taken in by a man named Anderson. Would like to find the name of this Anderson. He was probally a Cole as a child. Would like to find information on his parents. Also would like any information that may prove that he was Indian and anything else about his childhood.

This is what I already have...

Descendants of Ezekiel Cole Anderson

1. EZEKIEL COLE ANDERSON was born 1791 in South Carolina (listed in 1850 census in MI), and died 22 Mar 1851 in Cass County, MI. He married WINNIE ESTER GOIN 22 Apr 1815 in Logan Co, KY, daughter of ISSAC GOINS and CLATA. She was born 1797 in KY, and died 1891.

EZEKIEL COLE ANDERSON:
    Ezekiel and Winnie came to Mich 1834
    Ezekiel, was captured when a boy in War, his real name
    is COLE. But the man who captured him in Lawrence, IL
    was named Anderson. Ezekiel, took the Anderson name.

Ezekiel, was a Cherokee Indian. Nothing is known about
    his earlier life.

More About EZEKIEL COLE ANDERSON:
    Residence: 1850, Porter, Cass, Michigan

Children of EZEKIEL ANDERSON and WINNIE GOIN are:
    i. ALVINA ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    ii. ELIZABETH ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    iii. GEORGE ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    iv. JOHN ANDERSON, b. Illinois; m. FRANCIS 'FANNY' ALLEN, 11 Mar 1849, IL; b. 01 May 1831, Columbia Co. Ohio; d. 29 Jun 1917.
    v. LUCINDA ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    vi. JEFFERSON B. ANDERSON, b. 1818, Lawrence Co., IL; d. 1889, Cass County, MI; m. AMANDA J. COUSINS, 30 Sep 1852, Cass County, MI; d. 06 May 1878.

JEFFERSON B. ANDERSON:
    He was a member of Co. I, 102nd U.S.C.T.

vii. MARY A ANDERSON, b. 1825, Lawrence Co., IL.
    viii. MATELDA ANDERSON, b. 1830, Lawrence Co., IL.
    ix. HARRIET ANDERSON, b. 1831, Lawrence Co., IL.
    x. WINNIE ANNA ANDERSON, b. 1833, Lawrence Co., IL.; d. 08 Feb 1871, Mt. Zion Cemetery.
    xi. ANDREW ANDERSON, b. 1835, Lawrence Co., IL.
    xii. ADELINE ANDERSON, b. 1838, Lawrence Co., IL.
    xiii. ELLES ANDERSON, b. 1840, Lawrence Co., IL.
    xiv. AMON ANDERSON, b. 1842, Lawrence Co., IL.

Thanks

Mystic1231

Surnames

Hello, saw you guys were discussing some Andersons. Thought I would throw my surnames in.

My grandmothers maiden name was Anderson, they came from VA she siad and were Blackfeet Indian. haha.

I also am researching, Minor,Roberts,Goins,Sizemore,Blevins,Wallin(wallin g),Griffin,Green,Moore,Rogers,Bunch,Stapleton.

These are the names from the VA area. My Minors Sizemores and Goins became the Melungeons of Tennessee.

my Andersons wound up in Kentucky by way of a brief stop also in Tennessee. What is interesting is both sides of my mamaws and papaws family have many common ancestors/surnames. I am sure they were not aware but I discovered it in my research. When they met and married she was from Kentucky his family had moved to Ohio from Tennesee. A lot of Rogers/Andersons/Sizemores on both sides.

Tari
    researching:Minor,Goins,Sizemore,Anderson,Stamper,
    Hopkins,Roberts,Stapleton,Hart,Blevins,Rogers,Wall ins,(ing)Barnes,Brooks,Mayo, Hays, Saylor(Sailor), and more

Ezekial....

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic1231
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks for letting me join your forum.

I am researching the family of Cole and Anderson. Any information would be helpful. I am trying to find information on a Ezekiel Cole Anderson. I have been told that he was a Cherokee Indian and that he was taken in by a man named Anderson. Would like to find the name of this Anderson. He was probally a Cole as a child. Would like to find information on his parents. Also would like any information that may prove that he was Indian and anything else about his childhood.

This is what I already have...

Descendants of Ezekiel Cole Anderson

1. EZEKIEL COLE ANDERSON was born 1791 in South Carolina (listed in 1850 census in MI), and died 22 Mar 1851 in Cass County, MI. He married WINNIE ESTER GOIN 22 Apr 1815 in Logan Co, KY, daughter of ISSAC GOINS and CLATA. She was born 1797 in KY, and died 1891.

EZEKIEL COLE ANDERSON:
    Ezekiel and Winnie came to Mich 1834
    Ezekiel, was captured when a boy in War, his real name
    is COLE. But the man who captured him in Lawrence, IL
    was named Anderson. Ezekiel, took the Anderson name.

Ezekiel, was a Cherokee Indian. Nothing is known about
    his earlier life.

Residence: 1850, Porter, Cass, Michigan

Children of EZEKIEL ANDERSON and WINNIE GOIN are:
    i. ALVINA ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    ii. ELIZABETH ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    iii. GEORGE ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    iv. JOHN ANDERSON, b. Illinois; m. FRANCIS 'FANNY' ALLEN, 11 Mar 1849, IL; b. 01 May 1831, Columbia Co. Ohio; d. 29 Jun 1917.
    v. LUCINDA ANDERSON, b. Illinois.
    vi. JEFFERSON B. ANDERSON, b. 1818, Lawrence Co., IL; d. 1889, Cass County, MI; m. AMANDA J. COUSINS, 30 Sep 1852, Cass County, MI; d. 06 May 1878.

JEFFERSON B. ANDERSON:

vii. MARY A ANDERSON, b. 1825, Lawrence Co., IL.
    viii. MATELDA ANDERSON, b. 1830, Lawrence Co., IL.
    ix. HARRIET ANDERSON, b. 1831, Lawrence Co., IL.
    x. WINNIE ANNA ANDERSON, b. 1833, Lawrence Co., IL.; d. 08 Feb 1871, Mt. Zion Cemetery.
    xi. ANDREW ANDERSON, b. 1835, Lawrence Co., IL.
    xii. ADELINE ANDERSON, b. 1838, Lawrence Co., IL.
    xiii. ELLES ANDERSON, b. 1840, Lawrence Co., IL.
    xiv. AMON ANDERSON, b. 1842, Lawrence Co., IL.

Thanks

Mystic1231
    Whoa Mystic! You hit the nail right on the head with Ezekial! When I read your post I was immediately mentally keyed in on one fellow in my tree: Ezekial Cole is how I had him indexed...this is what I have on his family:

Ezekial Cole (Anderson) was b: abt 1793 in Lincoln Co, NC; he was the son of John Charles "Jack" Cole and Cuzzie nee Anderson (ha!...lightbulb goes off here...he apparently took his maternal name it seems.) He was 1 of 8 children...number four in birth order of: Jackson "Jack" (1787), Charles (1789), William (1791...who also was reported to have used the Anderson as a given name rather than as a surname...perhaps it was his middle name?), Ezekial (1793), Mary (1795), Margaret (1797), Luana (1800) & Wilson (1803).

You are correct that this Ezekial is from Native ancestry...his brother William filed an Eastern Cherokee application under the name Anderson Cole (ECA # 31697). This line of Cole's MD into surnames: Gibson, Higgins, Watkins, Collins, Musgrove, Campbell. Numerous members of this line did file ECA's so their NA ancestry is pretty well established. Most ppl do feel certain that they were of Cherokee descent however there is also soem speculation that the matriarch (Cuzzie Anderson) may have been of another tribal lineage (perhaps Choctaw or Shawnee if I recall correctly?) At any rate....I thank you for sharng what you know of Ezekial...I had not examined his line at all...not knowing that he assumed his maternal surname....great job! If you wish for further information on Ezekial's siblings and their marriages and/or children...feel free to email me directly.
    Blessings to you~~~Laurie

Cass Co. MI is an important destination for a number Siouan families who migrated out of the southeast. It's important because it's unusually well documented. Ask Forest about them, he's done quite a bit of research with them. You'll find him on the members list linked in the top navigation bar above.

My Goin (many different spellings)Family

Descendants of Issac Goins

Generation No. 1

1. ISSAC GOINS was born in Kentucky, and died in Kentucky. He married CLATA. She was born in Kentucky, and died in Kentucky.

Child of ISSAC GOINS and CLATA is:
    2. i. WINNIE ESTER GOIN, b. 1797, KY; d. 1891.

Generation No. 2

2. WINNIE ESTER2 GOIN (ISSAC GOINS) was born 1797 in KY, and died 1891. She married EZEKIEL COLE ANDERSON 22 Apr 1815 in Logan Co, KY. He was born 1791 in South Carolina, and died 22 Mar 1851 in Cass County, MI.

Residence: 1850, Porter, Cass, Michigan1

Children of WINNIE GOIN and EZEKIEL ANDERSON are:
    3. i. WINNIE ANNA ANDERSON, b. 1833, Lawrence Co., IL.; d. 08 Feb 1871, Mt. Zion Cemetery.
    ii. MARY A ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL.
    iii. MATELDA ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL.
    iv. HARRIET ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL.
    v. ANDREW ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL.
    vi. ADELINE ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL.
    vii. ELLES ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL.
    viii. AMON ANDERSON, b. Lawrence Co., IL. (Have a Pic of him)
    ix. JOHN STEWARD, b. North Carolina.

Notes for JOHN STEWARD:
    Person was a labor in Anderson's family

x. JEFFERSON B. ANDERSON, b. 1829, Illinois; m. AMANDA J. COUSINS, 30 Sep 1852, Cass County, MI; d. 06 May 1878.

Notes for JEFFERSON B. ANDERSON:

xi. JOHN ANDERSON, m. FRANCIS 'FANNY' ALLEN, 11 Mar 1849, IL; b. 01 May 1831, Columbia Co. Ohio; d. 29 Jun 1917.

Generation No. 3

3. WINNIE ANNA ANDERSON (WINNIE ESTER GOIN, ISSAC GOINS) was born 1833 in Lawrence Co., IL., and died 08 Feb 1871 in Mt. Zion Cemetery. She married WILLIAM ALLEN, son of JOSEPH ALLEN and REBECCA TABOURN. He was born 24 Nov 1832 in Columbianna Co, Ohio, and died 07 Jul 1925 in Porter twp Cass County Michigan, Mt. Zion Cemetery.

Children of WINNIE ANDERSON and WILLIAM ALLEN are:
    i. BENJAMINE FRANKLINE ALLEN, b. 18 Sep 1854; d. 05 Jul 1910, Mt. Zion Cemetery; m. (1) TEMPERANCE ESTER ARTIS; d. 09 Feb 1905; m. (2) MARTHA WADE.
    ii. JENNETTA M ALLEN, b. 30 Dec 1855; d. 21 May 1920.
    iii. ROSETTA ALLEN, b. 1860, Porter twp Cassopolis County Michigan; d. 1893; m. JOHN CALLOWAY.
    iv. LUCINDA ROXANN ALLEN, b. 11 Oct 1862, Porter twp Cass County Michigan; d. 24 Jun 1918, Mt. Zion Cemetery; m. (1) WISEMAN HARRIS, 29 Dec; m. (2) SYLVANNS HAITHCOX, 1882; m. (3) CHARLES O. WALDEN, 01 Apr 1900.
    4. v. JANE ALLEN, b. 17 Nov 1864, Porter twp Cassopolis County Michigan; d. 09 Sep 1939.
    vi. MINERVA ALLEN, b. 07 Apr 1867; d. 29 Sep 1952, At Home; m. JAMES A. COKER, 29 Sep 1886.

More About MINERVA ALLEN:
    Burial: 02 Oct 1952, Calvin Community Chapel

vii. MARY ELLEN ALLEN, b. 03 Aug 1869; d. 01 May 1937, Mt. Zion Cemetery; m. THOMAS POWELL, 22 Dec 1888.
    viii. LAVINA ALLEN.
    ix. ROXANNA ALLEN.

Generation No. 4

4. JANE ALLEN (WINNIE ANNA ANDERSON, WINNIE ESTER GOIN, ISSAC GOINS) was born 17 Nov 1864 in Porter twp Cassopolis County Michigan, and died 09 Sep 1939. She married ORLANDO REYNOLDS2,3 12 Aug 1885, son of ELISHA REYNOLDS and LUCY SCOTT. He was born 20 Jun 1848 in Ohio, and died 13 Jun 1935.

More About JANE ALLEN:
    Residence: 1920, Calvin, Cass, Michigan4,4

More About ORLANDO REYNOLDS:
    Residence: 1920, Calvin, Cass, Michigan4

Children of JANE ALLEN and ORLANDO REYNOLDS are:
    i. RAYMOND5 REYNOLDS, b. 30 May 1886; d. 12 Mar 1898.
    ii. MYRTLE ANN REYNOLDS, b. 24 Mar 1889, Ridge Township, Van Wert County; d. 14 Jul 1973, Cincinnati, Oh; m. GEORGE A PHILLIPS, 31 Oct 1909; b. 22 Dec 1885; d. 1984.

iii. ELEYSWORTH REYNOLDS b. 21 Oct 1891, Ohio; d. August 31, 1966; m. MYRTLE VAUGHAN, 28 Jan 1917.

More About ELEYSWORTH REYNOLDS:
    Residence: 1910, Ridge, Van Wert, Ohio

iv. MABEL ESTHER REYNOLDS, b. 1909, Ohio.

More About MABEL ESTHER REYNOLDS:
    Residence: 1920, Calvin, Cass, Michigan
    Researching the names of

Goins (many sp) Anderson, Cole, Reynolds, Taborn, Phillips, Lewis

Does anyone know

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me more information about this...

Ezekiel Cole Anderson was in Illinois prior to 1818 near Fort allison
    and was part of a family unit consisting of a mother, father and three sons,
    including Ezekiel. Whether Ezekiel was a natural born child of this family
    unit is yet to be established, but person represented as his brothers were
    George Anderson and Joseph Anderson. A person most likely represented as
    his mother was Susanna Anderson. And what relation these people may have had to Cuzzie Anderson and John C. Coles?

Thanks
    Mystic1231
    Researching the names of

Hey Mystic....I thank you so much for posting what you have on your Ezekial...please bear with me and give me a bit of time to digest and dig moreso...I have my thumb in a few new pots lately...LOL....Take care...I'll get back with you just as soon as I get to digging. Thanks bunches...Take care~~~Laurie

Tick...Tock.......

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeyeLaurie
    Hey Mystic....I thank you so much for posting what you have on your Ezekial...please bear with me and give me a bit of time to digest and dig moreso...I have my thumb in a few new pots lately...LOL....Take care...I'll get back with you just as soon as I get to digging. Thanks bunches...Take care~~~Laurie
    Ok....Tick...Tick...goes the clock

No Problem Laurie....take your time.

Mystic1231
    Researching the names of

1800 Logan Co., Ky Tax List:
    Edward Goin, 8/26/1800
    Isaac Goin, 8/26/1800
    Jabez Going, - / - / 1800

1810 Logan Co., Ky Census:
    p.167, Isaac Goen, 10 Other Free.
    p.196, William Cole, 5 Other Free.
    + 4 houses, William Anderson, (W) = 20301-22010-0-0.
    (2 males under 10, 3 males 16 to 25, 1 male 45 or over,
    2 females under 10, 2 females 10 to 15, 1 female 25 to 44)

Other Anderson households on 1810 Logan Co., Ky Census:
    John Anderson, (W) oldest male 16 to 25 + family + 4 slaves.
    John Anderson, (W) 2 males 45 or over + family.
    William Anderson (W) oldest male 25 to 44 (a 2nd one).
    William Anderson (W) oldest male 25 to 44 (a 3rd one).
    Polly Anderson (W) oldest female 25 to 44.
    Sam'l Anderson (W) 1 male 25 to 44, no females.

1810 Knox Co, Ky Census:
    p.64, John Cole, 8 Other Free.
    Not found in 1820 Illinois or Kentucky.

Still there on 1820 Logan Co., Ky Census:
    William Cole, FPC, 2111-1212. He's 55 or older.
    In 1830 Logan Co., Ky, 'a' William Cole, FPC, 36 to 55, has 1 white male 5 to 10 yrs old in his household.

1830 Lawrence Co., Ill Census, p.267:
    Ezekiel Anderson, FPC 310100-320100.
    Caleb Anderson, FPC 200100-211000.
    Enoch Jones, FPC 110100-010100.
    Judson Goin, FPC 201000-201000.

1840 Lawrence Co., Ill Census, p.179:
    Ezekiel Anderson, FPC 130100-331100.

1850 Cass Co., Mich Census, Porter Twp; 30 July; Household 405:
    Ezekiel ANDERSON, 59, m, M, Farmer, $100, SC.
    Winnie..............., 53, f, M, Ky
    Mary A.............., 25, f, M, Ill.
    Matilda.............., 20, f, M, Ill.
    Harriet..............., 19, f, M, Ill.
    Winnie A............, 17, f, M, Ill.
    Andrew J............, 15, m, M, Ill.
    Adeline..............., 12, f, M, Ill.
    Elles.................., 10, m, M, Ill.
    Anson................, 8, m, M, Ill.
    John STEWART, 33, m, B, NC.
    Bill

Thanks Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the information. But I do have a question...

The question I have could Ezekiel been a slave of John Anderson in 1810 then 8 years later moved to IL.? Ezekiel is in the IL 1818 and 1820 IL census as FPC?

Thanks

Mystic1231
    Researching the names of

On the 1820 Edwards (parent county of Lawrence) Co., Ill Census, (these appear in a section which seem to list the ones left off the Federal census which were on the state census):

Ezekiel Anderson
    Free White Males twenty one years old and upwards: 6.

Isaac Goen
    Free White Males twenty one years old and upwards: 8.

The person who indexed this census left us a note:
    "Thirty-six names are listed in the state but not in the federal census for 1820. Of these, however, fifteen families are "Free person of color" of which there is no list in the federal census though the summary indicates a total of seventy-five such persons."

Coupled with the census taker's note (below), one could speculate that there were 15 households containing 75 people or they were living in the backwoods.

The census taker left a note which might explain why not all inhabitants were found:
    "Sir
    Inclosed you will have the numbers of Inhabitance, of Different Classes residing in Edwards County, Taken as accurately aposibel I have Spared no pains nessasary In obtaining them. The County In many parts is thinly Setled. I have in Sum instances rode 12 or 15 miles with out a hous or Eavin a path to gide me But Bilive I have gethered up the fragments That there is none lost.
    I am with Due respect Your most obedent
    Scoby Stewart"

.................................................. .....
    The county totals for 1820 don't seem to match either:

Heads of Families with all other White
    males 21 years old and upwards Ttl 775.

All other White Inhabitants 2,570.
    Free People of Collor 17.
    Servants or Slaves 6.
    .................................................. .....

Other names on this census listed elsewhere as non-whites:

Lewis Goin, 1 white male 21 and over, 2 other white inhabitants.
    (Lewis Goen in 1818)
    George Anderson, 3 white males 21 and over.
    next one on the list is
    Jasen Goen, 5 white males 21 and over.
    Edward Goen, 2 white males 21 and over.
    George Cole, 2 white males, 1 white male 21 and over, 5 people of color Free, and 1 people of color. (I'd assume the last is not free - and this count for George Cole begs the question of whether these are the servants and slaves listed in the county summary - but I really don't "know".)

As for your question above, I don't know if you have documentation to support the statement about Ezekiel. If not, I'd see if I could find out if the court records for this area still exist - see the Edwards Co., Ill genweb site.
    Bill

No Docs

Bill,

There is no information or documents of Ezekiel being a slave of John's. I am just searching all possibilities. I have been searching since Dec. and have received a lot of ifs, buts, maybe...etc. Any information that I receive I will be happy with it.

I thought I would try here because some of my names are here.

Thanks

Valerie
    Researching the names of

Received Information

Just received some information from U.S. National Archives & Records on Anderson Cole Eastern Cherokee Application.

Anyone wish to know anything let me know

Valerie
    Researching the names of

Lightbulb Please Share All You Learned

These are such popular names it could affect many people here and serve as an educational tool for others. If you have time I'd like to know the process you followed to receive your information.
    Dianne

Sure, would you list the information on it here?