Thread: Hannah Love and John Austin

Hannah Love and John Austin

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and am very happy to have all your knowledge to draw on since I just found that one of my ancestors was Saponi.

I will just briefly list my line and hope that there will be others who either share it or have knowledge of it. Sorry, I don't have a gedcom.

John Austin b ca 1690 in England married a Saponi woman of the Catawba Nation. Her English name was Hannah Love. I descend through their son Richard who may have married Ann Heard. Their daughter Elizabeth Austin married Isaac Vernon. Their son Isaac Vernon Jr. also married an Elizabeth, last name unknown. Does anyone know who she was? Their son Joseph Vernon Married ?(have no idea) Their son John Vernon married Sarah Sims/Lemuel. Their son Noah Vernon b 1805 married Sarah Lewellyn. Their daughter Sarah Amanda Vernon married Marcus Lafayette Batman/Bateman. Their daughter Mary Alice Batman married Joseph William Christian. Their son Jesse Milton Christian was my father.

Connected surnames include: Reed/Read (I'm looking for a John Reed b ca 1755-60), Jamison, McCartney, Baylor, Powers, Jones. I also have the surnames Martin, Evans, Sanders from another line.

I would love to know what John Austin's wife's Indian name was. I'm anxious to learn about the Tribe's culture, religion, art, clothing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kathleen Rogalla
    pkr1@msn.com

Hi, Kathleen, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found your way here. I'm going to try and copy this over to the "Share Genealogy" section so it doesn't get missed.

Welcome, Kathleen,
    First, some 'housekeeping'.
    The Saponi and Catawba are both Nations of the Eastern Sioux,
    but some Saponi did move in with the Catawba very early on and then moved back so intermarriage can't be ruled out.

The dates and information I've dug up conflict and I'd welcome any documentation you may have that may straighten some of this out.

1)
    John Austin
    b. 27 Mar 1701 Kent, Eng.
    d. 5 Feb 1760 Halifax Co., Va

who m'd 1st abt. 1720 Cornwall, Va:
    Saponey Indian
    b. abt. 1684 Saponia Plantation, Bertie Co., NC
    d. abt. 1722 Va

m'd 2nd abt. 1725 Brunswick Co., Va
    Hannah Love
    b. 1702 Pittsylvania Co., Va
    d. 20 April 1778 Pitts., Co., Va
    dau of Alexander Love, b. 1690 Northumberland Co., Va, and
    Elishe _?_ , d. 1729 Va.

Children:
    John, b.abt. 1729 Brunswick Co., Va
    Valentine, b. abt. 1730 Pitts. Co., Va
    Hannah, b. abt. 1734
    Stephen, b. abt. 1740
    Richard/Richardson, b. abt. 1742 Brunswick Co., Va
    (whose dau Elizabeth is b. abt. 1725)
    Joseph, b. abt. 1746

There are Land Entry Records for the area of Brunswick and Pittsylvania counties, Va., matching most of the listed children's names, begining in 1751, and I suspect some moved to Surry and Rockingham Co's NC.

Another line of information has John Austin Sr b.abt. 1687 Surry Co., Va, d. abt. 1760 Lunenburg Co., Va, and m'd Hannah Love about 1725, and their eldest John Austin Jr b. 14 Sep 1726.
    Do you have any additional information you can share?
    Bill

Hannah Love and John austin

Hi Bill. Thanks for the welcome. I've been out of town for a few days and just got in to check my mail. I agree that there is conflicting information. I thought that ELizabeth Austin married Isaac Vernon Sr. bur have found that it may be that she married Isaac Jr.
    Some people think that Elizabeth's father was a brother, father, uncle or something to John Sr. who married the Saponi. I'm not a professional researcher and I don't know if that's true or not. I know that there was another Richard Austin who died young in the war. I can use all the help I can get. Here is what I think I know from reading all the various posts and docs:

Elizabeth austin is mentioned in her father Richard's will. Richard was one of the executors of his mother's estate when she died. Her name was Hannah. John Sr. mentions his sons including Richard in his will.
    The will of John Sr. and Richard are both listed in the "Early Wills 1746-1765 Lunenburg Co., Virginia "compiled by Katherine B. Elliott South Hill, VA, page 74-75. Austin, John will book 1 page 308.
    Will of Richard Austin from same source pp. 69-70.

Biography - John Austin Sr. Quoted from "Southside Virginia Austins" by Janet Austin Curtis. "The Virginia Genealogist" October-December 1961, 147-54. John Sr. made his will in 1758........named his wife Hannah and sons John, Valentine, Stephen, Richardson, also called Richard, and Joseph, mentioning that the first 2 were married. In the biography, John W. Scott has Richard listed as the son of a Saponie Indian.

Marriage: "Abstract of minutes of court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, Rowan Co., NC 1753-1762" By Jo White Linn, pp 38. This source apparently states that John Austin Jr.'s mother was an Indian.

Marriage: A recording in the Rowan Co., NC book pp 72 and dated April 19, 1755 a difficult text to read...best effort..."Whereas John Austin Jr. and a Saponia Indian and Marry or Mary, a Susquohanah Indian and Thomas Cattaba applied for a pass to the Catabe Nation being now on their journey to conclude a general peace with the Cattabas in behalf of the said Nations and also presented three belts of Wampum to said court by which the treaty is to be concluded."

John Austin Jr. identified himself as a Saponi at a court hearing in Surry Co. Valentine was also identified as an Indian at a court hearing in Surry Co. Later, it was discovered that Richardson/Richard and Joseph were identified by the State of Virginia as Melungeons. Since 4 of the 5 children have been identified as "mixed blood" it is felt that there was only one mother for all the known children. (Statement made by Charles Edwin Austin).

So, my question now is why would a Richard Austin who died young in war be an executor of his mother's estate? Also, the last name of Love for Hannah, I've read is not proven.

Some sources say that my Richard's will was filed in court and 3 months later the other Richard showed up in court.

Will the REAL Richard please stand up. Apparently, there is still a lot of contention about this. Some sources say that John Austin Sr. was born in England, other's say he was born in 1690 in VA. Richardson/Richard born before 1724 in VA.

So, there you have it.

Kathleen Rogalla

Do I remember you saying something, Kathleen, in an email that your Vernons relocated to Connecticut?

Hannah Love and John Austin

Hi Linda. No, I don't think so. At least not my line. They went to Rockingham Co., NC and then on to Indiana.

As an aside; I've had the "Ancestral Origens" DNA test done on my mother and myself. I may have already posted this but this test shows 4 population groups and a percentage range for the 4. They are European, Asian, Sub-Saharan African and Native American. Our tests show all 4 groups. I'm having a really tough time trying to track the non-Eurpean groups down in my lines.

Kathleen

Kathleen,
    I too am researching Hannah Love, Hannah Honor Love, Unknow Austin. Thru the Austin AFAOA geneologica site I learned of an Unknow Austin which I think may be a William Austin brother to Hannas husband. I am now researcing the info which came thru the William Austin decendent on that site. It may beworth looking into and searcing along with the Saponi site
    which is what Iam doing. There is a Hanna Austin whoc married in Vermont but she was not born there. She married a William Stone Sept 27, 1781.
    Married by James Shelbourne. This is found in the Annals of Southwest Virginia - under Wythe County. The treaty they sought with the Cattaba Nation was around 1775 and Mary a Susquohanah Indian was with John Jr.
    when this was appliedfor along with Hannah and Thomas Cattaba. The unknow Austin maybe William...

Hi. I'm glad to find someone else looking for this family. I thought at first that my Richard Austin who's daughter Elizabeth married Isaac Vernon was the son of John Sr. Austin but I was told by the Austin Assoc. that my Richard'w will was proved in 1759 and John Austin Sr.'s son Richard was still alive in 1760. They suggest that my Richard is a brother to John Austin Sr. along with a Nathaniel Austin because of the ages of the 3 of them. They think they are all sons of Robert Austin.

Well, I have no idea who my Richard Austin married but I do know that he had a son Thomas along with other children but a Thomas, cousin to John Austin Jr. stated in court that he too was Indian. John Austin Jr. may have had other cousins named Thomas. I don't know. I know that John Jr. was proved by the court to be the son of a Saponi woman.

Now, I'm wondering if all the brothers married Indian women and if they might have been traders.

And to confuse things further, I guess that my Isaac Vernon's father married Mary Austin. I don't know who she was. She may have been another daughter of Richard Austin. Seems odd that father and son would marry
    sisters.
    In the case of Hannah Love, some people think she was the Saponi woman and some think that she was a 2nd wife. From what I've read though, all John Austin's sons who were Indian were by his 1st or Indian wife, whoever she was.

Kathleen
    deserthawk@cableone.net

hannah love and john austin

New First Time Post...Austin
    I didn't connect this before. Hannah Love and John Austin ...son Joseph and Wife__ Terry..son Champness Terry Austin and Anne Morton have John Austin who married Onorah "Oney" Allen, daughter of Meredith Allen and Nancy Cooper. Grandaughter of Robert Jr. brother to my Joseph Allen. Meredith was on the Sandy River in Pittsylvania co, died there..Onorah born there. Would be a cousin connection between lines but also just more interweaving here. Saj