Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: questions on souian indians

techteach,your gggr grandad and my gr grandad coulda been borthers.my poppy was born in 1891 and died 1969 he was born in paintsville ky and died here in nj.i"m the youngest family member to remember him.their was reputedly indian in his family thru goins and berry lines and possibly chaffin too

saj, thanks for the link,i will read this interesting article tomorrow.looks like a good one from a quick skim.

Vance,I"ve heard that half cherokee crap from people as white as a catfish"s belly.for a long time i never believed the family stories of indian blood because I"d heard so much obvious crap from others that i was fed up with it but after hitting repeated dead ends on several lines and them coming up with the term melungeon when i was searching goins then i started an in depth study while not being good at researching records i am good at researching books and articles.I"ve read everything on desoto,juan pardo,and every tribe i could find from south carolina to md and my trail has led me here so far.maybe the family rumors weren"t all crap after all.

Techteach and Bill thanks for the mound info.I have my own tehories on the origins of the mound builders and thats why i was interested if the ancestors of some of the modern day hillbillies might be mound builder.a long story here and maybe not for this forum.i know the iroqouis and algonkians claimed to have come from the west and fought and conquered the major mound cultures on their way across to the east coast,maybe thats why their was still hate and discontent between the saponi and the tuscarora/powhatan confederacy into historical times.
    thanks all of you for the info.i was so late getting back because my email notification of a reply just came in.I really like this board a lot.
    thanks again,
    Al

Very interesting. I am originally from Sandusky, OH, and I am travelling there this upcoming week.

Al,

Interested in your Chaffin line... my great grandmother, Bettie Chaffin/Chafin Steele who lived in Mingo Co./Old Logan West Virginia was descended from Christoper B. Chaffin. What neck of the woods were yours from?

Brenda

my chaffins are from lawrence/carter counties ky.virginia chaffin was my gr gr grandmom and her dad was john chaffin.
    any possible relation you think?
    Al

Lawrence Co. KY lies along the Tug Fork of the Big Sandy on one side and the Levisa Fork goes through it....I think the forks of Sandy are in Louisa, KY across from Fort Gay, WV......I'm not sure about Carter Co., but my guess is that all the Chaffins in this area are related....I'd need dates and locations to check it against the stuff in my boxes...

A lot of the Chafin/Chaffin folks in this area descend from Christopher B. Chafin, born abt. 1757 in Cumberland County, VA; died October 10, 1836 in Tazewell County, VA. He was the son of Christopher Chafin. He married Mary Ann Vawter August 22, 1778 in Powhatan Co. VA. Christopher B. was in the Revolutionary war. His father Christopher Chafin, died 1768 in Cumberland Co. VA. He was the son of John Chafin, born 1696; died 1773--don't know a lot about him.

The families were pretty big, but here is my line:

Son of Christopher B. is Christopher Chafin, born bet. 1780 - 1783 in Goochland County or Cumberland Co. ?, Virginia. He married Mary "Polly" Roberts, born bet. 1780 - 1790 in North Carolina. She was the daughter of Unknown Roberts and Unknown. Christopher Chafin settled in KY and was an early settler in Logan County, VA. According to Henry Clay Ragland's History of Logan County, he mysteriously disappeared. His wife and family remained in Logan County.

Pleasant (Chaffins) Chafin, born Abt. 1815 in Kentucky; died bef. 1870 in Logan County, West Virginia. He was the son of Christopher Chafin and Mary "Polly" Roberts. He married Polly Chapman abt. 1833.

Lewis (John Lewis) Chafin, born May 03, 1852 in Logan Co. VA; died January 19, 1931 in Mingo County, WV. He was the son of Pleasant (Chaffins) Chafin and Polly Chapman. He married Mahulda Varney May 28, 1873 in Logan County, WV.

Bettie Chafin, born February 11, 1882 in Ragland, Mingo [Logan] County, WV; died December 19, 1970 in Beech Creek, Mingo County, WV. She was the daughter of Lewis (John Lewis) Chafin and Mahulda Varney. She married S. E. Steele.

Harrison "Harry" Steele, born September 04, 1908 in O'Keefe, Mingo County, West Virginia; died December 04, 1990 in Charleston, WV. He was the son of Smith Eppison Steele and Bettie Chafin. He married Belle (Mary Belle) Moore June 08, 1926 in Freeburn, Pike County, KY. Harry Steele is my grandfather.

Brenda

my gr gr grandmom virginia chaffin lived 1867-1910 born and died in lawrence county ky.her dad was john chaffin born 3-1836 dont know where and died 1916 lawrence county ky buried yatesville.his dad was james chaffin and mom was judah adkins.
    john chaffin married harriet goins who was the daughter of alexander goins who was murdered in stonega va in 1844.james is as far as i go but he may go back to this christopher you speak of.I"ll try and see what I can find later today.
    Al

Chafin & Goins 1870 KY: Lawrence Co.

Al,

This is what I came up with:

1870 Census Lawrence Co., KY
    Precinct 3
    Page 13
    P. O. Louisa
    Enumerated 20 June 1870
    Household & Family # 85

Chafin, John 34, male, white, farmer, real estate value 600, personal value 300, b. KY
    " Harriet A., 33, female, white, keeping house
    " Mary [can't read middle initial], 15, female white, without occupation
    " Judith, 8, female, white
    " 12 year old male, can't read his name
    " Margaret, 6, female, white
    " VIRGINIA, 3, female, white
    " Frederick, one month old, male, white
    GOINS, JENNIE, 27, female, white, without occupation
    All in this house hold were born in KY.

# 86 is home of Washington Chafin, 31, & family
    # 84 is James Chafin, 44, & family

If you look this up at Ancestry.com, the index is incorrect and lists
    "Chapin" for family # 85. The film is clearly Chafin. There are a lot of Chafins in Lawrence County.....

Jennie may be Harriet's sister.......

Also:

on page 12 is the household # 81 of Kenas [?], 33, and Margaret Chafin, 35 & children...next door to them in # 82 is MARY GOINS. Age 65, (born abt. 1805), female, white, keeping house, b. KY. Missouri , 32; Laura E., 16; William H., 13; Ida L., 10; and George, 3. Mary is the head of the household. These are the only GOINS I see in Lawrence Co. in 1870...

There are GOINS in 1870 in CLAY Co., Fayette, Franklin, Fulton, Gallatin, Garrard, Graves, ... all through KY....

Brenda

Father of John Chafin, b. 1836

Al,

There may be some extra James & John Chafins, but the researcher at the following link has posted:

http://www.evansgenealogy.com/Chafinwilliam.html

"William Chaffin (1815-1870) Lawrence County Ky Wife: Sarah Deskins (1817)
    (Married 1836 in Pike County Kentucky)
    Children:
    John Chaffin (1836) Lawrence Co. Ky
    David Chaffin (1838) Lawrence County
    James Chaffin (1840) Lawrence County
    Martha Chaffin (1842) Lawrence County
    Sidney Chaffin (1844) Lawrence County
    Mary Chaffin (1846) Lawrence County
    Clary Chaffin (1848) Lawrence County"

Now this William Chafin that married Sarah Deskins is a son of Christopher Chafin who "mysteriously" disappeared and a brother to my Pleasant Chafin.....and grandson of the RW Christopher B. Chafin. If it should ever turn out that your John, b. 1836 is connected to William and Sarah Deskins Chafin I have an article from the Mingo County Genealogical Society with an interesting picture of the two of them.....

Brenda

The 12 yr old male in John Chafin's 1870 household is "Kenas".
    Bill

Thanks, Bill. Probably named after an Uncle Kenas in HH # 81????

Do you have any idea who was the father of Al's James Chafin ?

I did find this:

ADKINS Judah CHAFFIN James mar. 20-JUN-1833

http://wwwgenealogybuff.com/ky/ky-lawrence-marr1.htm

I think the info. from the Evans genealogy link is not correct. Doubt that this is the William, son of Christopher, that married Sarah Deskins... I think he was in Logan Co. in 1850...In Lawrence Co. I find the Wm. above married to a Nancy!!:

I do find a Judy with a John, right age in Lawrence in 1850:

907 CHAFFIN, Judy 45 F VA
    John 15 M Farmer KY
    Kenez 14 F KY
    Washington 11 M KY
    LARGE, Solomon 21 M KY

http://members.tripod.com/Kahamilton...nce_census.htm

hey everybody thanks for the info.I"m checking it out now.Brenda I would like to see your chaffin pics anyway.post them or send them to manumuskin@aol.com and put in the subjest chaffin pics and I"ll know it"s you and wont delete it.
    Al

Al,

The picture of William & Sarah Deskins Chafin is not on my computer right now and I am not sure how I will proceed. It is from a newsletter....

I have a picture available of my great grandmother Bettie Chafin Steele and mother-in-law Nancy Hatfield Steele which I have sent to Linda to post. I will figure something out about the other picture.....

Brenda

thanks,
    I am also related to hatfields thru cousins marrying them mack in the 1700"s in va and 1800"s in ky.not descended from them that i know of.
    Al

I started a new thread for the Hatfield, Chafin, & Steele info. under the genealogy threads here....

Brenda