Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collins Family

Collins Family

Brenda I found some very interesting information that I really think you should take a look at. This is about John Collins, David, Joseph, etc... http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/ta...ssages/138.html
    Go to files button on the Saponi egroup and look at what I will upload there.

here is another interesting one
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~vanansem/nans-qry.html

I believe this may fill some gaps and clear up some things about the John Collins deal and also show why it has all benn so hard to figure out. They all sure did move around allot.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-30-2001 04:07 PM

Cotton Top

Soory that file didn't work out like I thought it would. You can get to at by going to
    http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/ta...essages/48.html

this one gives a good listing of siblings

I was wondering if anyone doing Collins research ever checked this link out?

David Collins(1750)

I have been going through my research to organize it and see where I left off. I came across my notation that I made and am wondering about the dates.

From what I have understood origanally David Collins was reported as being born in 1750. Then I had been told that the date could be any time between 1748 and 1750. I have in a notation as follows: ? Was David born 1758 and was his father Joseph Collins Sr. son of John Collins born 1668 Nansamond County and Bertie County N.C.?

Also Mary King
    Milley Collins born 1835 Morgan County Indiana died January 14, 1898, married some time between 1852 and 1856 Glangs or Clary counties Missouri, Leonard Harold Oats Collins born 1831 Martinsville Morgan County Indiana.

Milley Collins parents are:
    Isiah Collins Jr. born 1810 Knox County Kentucky and died some time after 1870. He married Mary Polly Black/Blakeley born around 1806 in Kentucky. They married on March 31, 1829 in Hendrick County Indiana.

Isiah Collins Jr. born 1810 his parents are:
    Isiah Collins Sr. born March 10, 1788 Wilkes County N.C. and died August 11, 1885 Dora, Missouri. He married Elizabeth Betsy Mason on November 20, 1805 in Grainger County Tennessee.

Elizabeth Betsy Mason's parents:
    Robert Mason and Mary King
    I have nothing on them accept that supposedly Robert Mason was a Revolutionary War hero/fighter and that he came from England. On Mary King I have no additional information other than my notation as follows:
    ?1/2 Indian Was Mary King the daughter of Wesley King and Eliza Evans?
    Eliza Evans parents are John Evans and Sarah Haynes.

I have been out of the research for about two years, but I am picking it back up to continue where I left off. I have been going through three boxes of research and consolidating information. As soon as I can get myself caught back up on what research I have I can then see where the next steps will be in continued research.

The above link to genforum says the page is not there any longer. Basically it had information concerning a John Collins b. 1698 Bertie County N.C. died 1752 and was married to a Martha ? They were in Tattnal county GA during the 1740's running cattle. I don't have any further information on this family. I believe I found this family during a search. I am not sure what relavence it may have to my John Collins other than tracking the other John Collins families.

I am also trying to find out about the Ft. Henry Cline family.

Mary King

:Correction:
    Mary King was born July 9, 1828 South Carolina and died January 8, 1895 Knox County KY.
    Her parents are Wesley King and Eliza Evans.
    Eliza Evans parents are John Evans and Sarah Haynes.

The above link to genforum says the page is not there any longer. Basically it had information concerning a John Collins b. 1698 Bertie County N.C. died 1752 and was married to a Martha ? They were in Tattnal county GA during the 1740's running cattle. I don't have any further information on this family. I believe I found this family during a search. I am not sure what relavence it may have to my John Collins other than tracking the other John Collins families.

This may or may not be the same John Collins of David 1750. It could be another John Collins either related or not. I am unsure at this late date.

I want to add also that I have a correction for Isiah Collins Jr.
    born 1810 Knox county KY.
    I have a note that says Isiah Collins Jr. born 1808 Middleboro Bell County KY married March 31, 1829 Danville Hendricks County Indiana to Mary Polly Black/Blakeley.

Interesting Collins Link

www.tamandmichael.com/COLHIST5.htm

I don't know the connection with my Collins line but it is interesting.

David 1750

O.K.
    Now this is what I have found in my notes.
    David Collins 1750 was born in Grayson County, VA.
    However, Grayson county didn't exist in 1750. In 1750 that area was Montgomery County. Fincastle was formed from a part of Montgomery County in 1776. Then Wythe County was formed out of part of Montgomery in 1790. In 1793 Grayson County was formed from parts of Wythe County.

So in: 1748-1750 David Collins was born in Montgomery County, VA.

Thompsey Posting was supposedly born around 1750 in Wilkes County N.C.
    This also can not be because in 1750 there was no Wilkes County.
    Wilkes County didn't form until 1777 out of Washington District and Surry County. Surry County formed in 1771 from part of Rowan County. Rowan County was formed in 1753 out of part of Anson County. Anson County was formed from Bladen County in 1750. So was Thompsey Posting born around 1750 in Bladen County?

I have also that David 1750 was the son of John Collins Sr. who was born 1690 in Nansemond County, VA and Martha Demsey born 1700 but no place of birth is known.

Their marriage is dated 1720 in Bertie County, N.C. but this again is inaccurate. The county should be Chowan County, N.C. Bertie County wasn't formed until 1722 out of Chowan County, N.C.

The source for John Collins Sr. being David Collins 1750's father is from Robert Dooms Jr. on Gencircles at the following URL:

http://www.gencircles.com/users/rldooms/39

This lists all the children, dates of birth and where. From the information I have the list of children is correct.

David 1750 and his family move around from Montgomery County, VA , Rowan County, N.C., Wilkes County, N.C., and in about 1783 they are found in Washington, N.C. which is in Beaufort County, N.C. After this by the following year they are back in Wilkes County N.C.

Being in Washington, N.C. in 1783 puts them in the general vacinity of the John Collins that wrote the Bertie County will December 27, 1749. So were they visiting a family farm when they were in Washington, N.C.?

I am wondering if these movements were linked with attacks on Fort Christanna, because otherwise I see them in many other locations other than Fort Christanna. I think it more probable that our family may have left the kids at the Fort for education like a boarding school type of situation. Fort Christanna was completed in 1715 in what was then Prince George County, VA.
    Again John Collins Sr. was born in Nansemond County 1690 and married in Chowan County, N.C. 1720. So we have a gap about where he may have been between between 1700 and 1719.
    My best guess would be that he was probably in Nansemond County until he moved in 1719 or 1720 to marry in Chowan County. I could be wrong. He may have been sent to Fort Christanna himself for educational purposes. Another possibility could be the Tuscarora War of 1711-1713, the Yamasee War of 1715-1718, and/or the French and Indian War from 1689-1763. Military service would have kept John busy until 1720 and probably would have given him the land grants and money the Collins families seemed to have to get numerous tracts of land.

If this is inaccurate please let me know or if there is additional information.
    Thanks

Riddle Family Link

The above link is to land records, sorry. Below is the Riddle family link.

http://www.jimcal.com/v04is01.htm

I just found this thread that Brenda Collins Dillion posted some time ago. Thanks Brenda.

Govind Sanyal Research w/permission

I am learning so much about my Collins and Johnson families.

I am a direct descendant of William Riddle and would be interested in seeing if the Collins moved in similar patterns as the Riddles did...

According that the Riddle link above it would seem the Collins and Riddles were in the same areas about the same time.

Johnson Location and Land Records

Possible Early Johnson Connections

Department Of Indian Affairs British Documents