Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I've found our emblem

Hybrid View

I think I've found our emblem

There's a museum reproduction at the Occoneechee State Park museum of a necklace with a shell with this design worked into it:

This is the design that was found at Gaston [correction Hillsborough] , is attritubed to the Occoneechee, and therefore, perhaps the closest piece of artwork to the ancestry we're trying to honor. I'll try to get a photo of it on the shell. It really looks very nice.

I was contacted today by a shell jewelry maker. I've asked him what kind of price he could give us for a quanity of them.

Linda:
    That sounds great. It would bring closure to several threads on this forum. Count me in for one of them.

Techteach

That sounds exciting to me, too. Will keep watching for the next step! What an incredible journey! Thanks. Dreamcatcher

Hello, just a note, I'd suggest some reverse imaging, that is making the darl spots white etc, that way you will see the dotted zig zag line etc around the outside.

I need to get a picture of how this shellwork was done. It looks like a dark red stain was worked into the carved lines, so they showed up very nicely against the white shell.

How beautiful!! Am I seeing a whirlwind in the center?

It's making me want to try my hand at beading!!

Here it is:

I would quibble some with the interpretation. I think there's six spokes to a whirlwind, this artist is doing something different, but that's something we can workout later. The shell is about 2 inches across and fairly concave. I think a flatter, smaller shell might be a more wearable-most-of-the-time kind of piece. I'll send this to the shell carver I'm in contact with and see what kind of price he could give us. Should I order a dozen? Half dozen? How many of us are interested?

Nope, that does not appear to be a whirlwind after all.

I'm interested, depending on the price.

It should be a whirlwind. I'll have our carver see the other artifacts that make this clear.

Count me in, Linda. I want one.

Cindy

I'd ask for a much closer replication, and get a bit familiar with what this object is really all about.
    Vance I think that you could make some suggestions here aswell as Lynella and others.
    Also please make clear If this is a " Saponi Town" web site emblem etc.

Yes, he'll be doing the pattern on the artifact at the top of this thread. I'd be happy to use at the emblem for this site. None of the other Siouan tribes are using it, so they can't be offended, and it's probably as close as we're going to get. The carver says he can do them for about $40 each. Who's in? We won't be making any extra, so let me know now if you want one.

This will include the necklace, which he said he will make out of artificial sinew. He says it will last longer than the hemp and be more comfortable against the skin.

Linda:
    I still want in. Tell us the best way to do the deal. Paypal?
    Will it indicate that it is the emblem of the Eastern Siouan Descendent's Assoc?
    I think I saw that original necklace in Chicago or one very similar. They had a large display of NA arts at the Art Museum. I took my daughter to see it.

Techteach

Count me in!

I have a weakness for shellwork, I'm interested if its not to late..