Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiles,Tinsley, Allen

Chiles,Tinsley, Allen

Hi to all!
    If this is right, and maybe Bill can tell me if it is, Susannah Chiles daughter of Henry Chiles and Margaret Littlepage, Susannah born circa 1695? New Kent co Va. Married to John Tinsley and then after being widowed, to Andrew Wade..
    Andrew and Robert Wade are brothers. Robert is father of Sarah Wade who married Memucan Hunt.
    And John Tinsley is a brother to Elizabeth Tinsley who married Drury Allen born Apr 6 1714 New Kent co. Va. Drury Allen was a witness to John Tinsley's will..so were charles Wade, William Roberts and Richard Jones.
    Sue J
    sue Janz

Hi Sue,
    I don't have the ALLEN info immediately at hand, but Henry and his brother John did live in New Kent Co at that time, however Henry was up-river. John died in what later was King William Co.

Henry Chiles' wife Margaret's surname has never been proven (but neither has his mother's surname). His father was Walter Chiles, who (with a couple partners) held the first Crown Charter to trade with Indians in the interior of Virginia.
    The "Littlepage" surname was only assumed by association. Lots of people keep repeating the earlier error even tho it's been refuted for at least 20 years. No one has ever found these ladies' surnames. The current best of the Chiles researchers (not me) say she was not a Littlepage and the Littlepage researchers deny it also.
    The area where this Henry lived in New Kent Co is so far up the York River that it only became Hanover County shortly after his death in 1718 and 20 some-odd years after that, Louisa Co. This was basically Indian country in Henry's time. Henry's granddaughter Susanna Chiles/Childs, was the wife of Col. Joseph Martin whose son Gen. Joseph Martin's Indian wife was the Cherokee Beloved Woman Ward. Some of their children used Martin and some used Chiles/Childs, their grandmother's maiden name.
    Bill

Chiles, Tinsley, Allen

Bill,
    Wow! How do you pinpoint exactly where within the county Henry lived? Is there a map to access online that would tell us if we had a deed description? Something detailed enough of those early virginia colonies as we run across these names?
    I could probably ask you any question about those counties and you would know...but you are working nonstop finding info for EVERYONE it seems.
    Thanks for the response!
    Sue J
    sue Janz

Thanks.
    Well, I wouldn't say that was "pin-point", just educated guess-work based on some deed info, who got it, and where they were living when civilization finally caught up with them.
    In the generation following this Henry, d.abt.1718, there were at least 3 other Henry Chiles in Virginia, all related.
    Bill

Sue,
    p.s.....
    The county formation data is from ancestry's "REDBOOK; American State, County & Town Sources". I couldn't do without it.
    Bill

chiles, tinsley, allen

Bill,
    What info I saw did show Walter Chiles as father of Henry with daughter Susannah married to John Tinsley..who came after that I did not know. John and Elizabeth, who married Drury Allen, siblings with their father being Thomas Tinsley..John Tinsley's will probated? Halifax co 1762, May 20...names wife Susannah..Agathey Coker, Rachel Cargill (married Daniel Cargill)...(the Cargills are further related to the Allen family)
    Manoah Tinsley, son John and five daughters..Cuziah (Keziah), Elinor, Sarah, Elizabeth and Mary...Maybe I am on the wrong track here. Or maybe there is no way to tell, but I sure found it interesting anyway..
    I have more names but I don't want to post anything which is not 100% right. On the other hand I don't mind you or anyone telling me that something has not been proven. That is fine.
    With recent talk of the need for documentation, and yet a lack in some cases of having records back then available, I'm not sure what to post.
    I was kind of excited to find this though.
    sue J
    sue Janz

Sue,
    There are a lot of missing records & some assumptions have to be made sometimes. In the case of Henry's wife being a Littlepage, the Littlepages don't even have a Margaret, so "dunno".
    Henry's second wife (prob. Mary _?_ ) had sons named MANOAH (m'd a GARLAND & a CHEADLE) and MICAJAH (m'd a TERRILL) - thought I'd throw "Manoah" out there even if it will drive you crazy!

Bill

Page/Chiles/Mann/Lee

This is another of those things that just blow me away. Sometimes the serendipidy is almost unbelievable. Becky has found Page in her lines and through her mother and a Page friend, we have the loan of the Page family history and a book, "Rosewell- Garland of Virginia" by Claude O Lanciano, Jr. published 1978.
    Rosewell was the name of the Page plantation, built on the site of Powhatan's burned out village. According to this book, Walter Chiles married Susanna Page about 1675. They had a son John and a daughter, Elizabeth, before Susanna died at an early age. The 2 children and 2 grandchildren are mentioned in the John Page will.
    Other names of note associated with the Page family are Mann and Dean. ( Mathew Page married Mary Mann, who's family owned the next plantation) I have been unable to find the origins of my Mann who married Newton but now maybe I can work it forward and backwards.
    Also, John Page brought in John COX as one of his "headwrights" and has business dealings with Richard LEE and William BIRD. Also note that the Page family kept the ndn names for all the land they held. There is also mention in the book of the practise of acquiring ndn brides in exchange for trade goods as though it was a common practise.
    We have found the origins of one of the clusters that continue into Person co, NC and points south and west.

chiles, tinsley, allen

Dreaminghawk,
    I was looking for notes earlier that I just found.
    Maybe this can't be taken as fact, I don't know. But there are definately connections.
    Cornelius Cargill married Elizabeth Daniel. Cornelius married several people but she was one.
    A child of theirs, Daniel Cargill born 1723 Va married Mary Allen...this needs to be further researched.
    Daniel's daughter Elicabeth Cargill born 16 Jan 1765 married Younger NEWTON born 30 Oct 1765 in Henrico co Va. Father of Younger Newton was GILES NEWTON and Elizabeth TERRELL or "Betty" Terrell, father James TERRELL b about 1698 in New Kent co Va and mother Margret Watkins..
    Younger Newton has a son Cornelius Newton b 25 Dec 1797 who married Dorcas Purnell born 9 Dec. 1789.
    I don't know if Mary Allen is related to my Allens or not because she supposedly is daughter of Joseph Allen ( my direct line) and I don't show a Mary. That means nothing because I don't think I have all of his children or even all of his wives for certain.
    Cont.d
    sue Janz

chiles, Tinsley, allen

continued...
    I just deleted this second part. Susannah Chiles may not be the daughter of Henry, I don't know but John Tinsley had wife Susannah in his will with a son Manoah married to Elizabeth Cargill and these Tinsley's, cargills and Allens are definately related.
    Rachel tinsley marries John Cargill born 1714 Va and they have son Cornelius Cargill and another CLARY Cargill and nine other children.
    Nancy Cargill married Memucan Walker, (first wife)..Memucan named after memucan Hunt who was guardian to his father sylvanus. Memucan Hunt brother to Sarah married to my Joseph Allen.
    Don't know if this Newton will relate to you But Giles Newton Sr. born about 1735 Caroline co Va could be a lead of some sort.
    If I didn't mention in the first post, there is Drury Allen married to elizabeth Tinsley as we knew before with the son David Allen. Drury died 1803 Person co NC. His will dated July 2 1799. Sue J
    sue Janz

Sue,
    The Henry Chiles, b.bef. 1667 Jamestown, d.1718 in (one-time Hanover Co.) now Louisa Co, had a son Henry, b.abt.1695/8 New Kent Co., d.1764 Halifax Co., Va, and this younger Henry had a dau Susanna, b.bet. 1718 & 1750 - I don't have a real date on her. Two of her older siblings married WARDs in the 1730s & '40s down in "southside" Va.
    Bill

Chiles, tinsley, Allen

Bill,
    Thanks again...I have been looking for more info and getting nowhere except more confused and cross-eyed.
    If Henry II had Susannah and she married John Tinsley that's good but I can't prove it...in fact there's going to be a lot we can't prove with the lack of records. Still fun looking!
    Have to take a break from this computer!
    Sue J
    sue Janz

Newton

Sue says >>>>> Don't know if this Newton will relate to you But Giles Newton Sr. born about 1735 Caroline co Va could be a lead of some sort. >>>>>>

My Newton line is another line that may have to work from both ends and finally find that link that I know is there by the preponderance of circumstantial evidence and common cluster of names. The farthest back that I can confirm is John G Newton b about 1780 in Va married on 10-14-1809 to Nancy Hailey. Their son, William H Newton b 1814 in Va married about 1835 to Mary Jane MANN in Va.

Note to Bill: Thanks for the Page / Chiles info you sent. Still comparing the info that you sent to the book and trying to get a handle on what's what. ..... so I know what questions to ask. ;-)
    I will make 2 points. First, the whole "headwrights for land" deal was abused and misused so info from headwrights documents may not be valid and true.
    Second, Alice's will reflects the wishes of John, who had already distributed his holdings to the rest of the family.... and the Pages didn't like to turn loose of their land.

Saj,
    I have not said this yet, but I have an Allen or two if you want the information. It is from my Green stuff that a cousin sent me. I don't have it on this computer though to give you details here. May only be one or two who marry into the family.

And a belated happy birthday.

Techteach

Chiles, Tinsley, Allen

Techteach,
    Yes! If you have any Allen names pls. let me know..who they married etc..
    and thanks for the happy b-day wish!
    Sue j
    sue Janz