PDA

View Full Version : Tracing surnames with Saponi heritage

lomonvm
11-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Hello, I posted a query last year, and forgot how to get back to it, so this time is someone replys please email me at lomon@csweb.net
I know I have to be saponi indian, my family compared to pictures of Saponi descendants share the same features.
My Surnames are, Simon and Osborn Jeffreys, Hill, Norfleet, Rhodes, Walker,Chisholm, Ryves,Chism, Green, Thomas, Brown, Davis, Martin, Webb, Nordin, Fuller, Carroll, Daniel, Webb, Mathews, Emmons, Grubbs, Bennett, Mayes, Laymon or Lehmann, Reeves, Green, Ford, Maxey, Lewallen, Walden, Rhodes, Spear, Cotton, Blair,Harrell, etc.
My Daniel surname originated from Bruinswick county, NC. Edward Daniel he migrated to Henry and Patrick and Grayson county, Va. He was around the Goins or Goings family a lot.
The Goinstown Indians. Edward migrated to Grainger county, Tn. he died there in 1830, some say he was mulungeon. In which he intermarried into the saponi race. But we only know his wife's first name Anne.
He was born about 1775 t0 1776, Edward had a sister named Esther who married Philemon Lacy, Most of Edward Daniel's children married in to the Henry Mayes and Pheobe Harrell Family.
How would I go about finding if they were a part of the Haliwa Saponi indian tribe?
Please email me at lomon@csweb.net I am not to good with the message board ?

Linda
11-12-2002, 06:18 PM
A lot of your names appear on the Southeastern American Indian Family Surnames list

Jeffries: Saponi, Catawba
Walker: Creek, Saponi
Greene: no tribe specified
Thomas: Tuscarora
Brown: Catawba, Meherrin, Saponi
Martin: Meherrin, Saponi
Norton: Saponi
Daniels: Mattaponi
Mathews: Saponi
Bennett: Chickahominy
Walton: Saponi
Spears: no tribe specified
Daniels: Machupunga

If you're family has been living outside of Halifax or Warren counties NC for a good while it may not be possible to get onto their rolls. I don't know their criteria. I also don't know the procedure for applying. I imagine they want to see all your genealogy work done up just so.

If they do have requirements regarding residence within those counties, don't take it personally. As I understand it, a tribe going for recognition needs to have that physical integrity. There are those who advise that allowing in members from families that migrated away will mean kissing one's bid for recognition goodbye. I've seen that create a lot of hard feelings, but that's the way it is.

kathleen 6
02-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi, I share a number of the same names that you mention. I have Martin, Lehman/Lemmon, Lewellyn, Ford, Chisholm/Chisum, Davis.

Kathleen Rogalla

jmcorn
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Kathleen - I have several Corn's marrying Davis' in my line throughout the 1800's. My Davis' were primarily from KY and the Corn's from North GA although both seem to have come from SW NC originally. Does this fit with any of your lines?

John Corn

kathleen 6
08-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi John. I have 2 Davis lines and know almost nothing about either of them. I have a Samuel Barker Davis born ca 1757 who married Rebecca Bussey. Samuel's parents were Joseph Davis and Mary Barker. That is everything I know about that davis line.
Then I have a Levi Davis born ca 1800 in Moore Co.,NC who married Mary Rudyard. Levi's parents were Robert Davis (from Wales?) and Cibby unknown.
Mary Rudyard's father was Isaiah Rudyard, a sea captain. His wife is unknown. Anybody have Rudyard's?

Sorry I can't help.

Kathleen
pkr1@msn.com

1_optimistic
08-23-2006, 04:45 PM
A lot of your names appear on the Southeastern American Indian Family Surnames list

Jeffries: Saponi, Catawba
Walker: Creek, Saponi
Greene: no tribe specified
Thomas: Tuscarora
Brown: Catawba, Meherrin, Saponi
Martin: Meherrin, Saponi
Norton: Saponi
Daniels: Mattaponi
Mathews: Saponi
Bennett: Chickahominy
Walton: Saponi
Spears: no tribe specified
Daniels: Machupunga

If you're family has been living outside of Halifax or Warren counties NC for a good while it may not be possible to get onto their rolls. I don't know their criteria. I also don't know the procedure for applying. I imagine they want to see all your genealogy work done up just so.

If they do have requirements regarding residence within those counties, don't take it personally. As I understand it, a tribe going for recognition needs to have that physical integrity. There are those who advise that allowing in members from families that migrated away will mean kissing one's bid for recognition goodbye. I've seen that create a lot of hard feelings, but that's the way it is.

Good Afternoon Linda,

I have to say that I am learning how some things work in the Native American culture. Sadly, if someone wants to belong to a particular tribe, he or she may be forced to deny their "other" connections. A person will probably have to "choose" which race/culture they will identify with. Also, for someone like me, I no longer live in Mecklenburg Co., VA so I probably will never be "officially recognized" by the state and/or federal government. But, I've accepted that because regardless, I am who I am :)

Erica

1_optimistic
08-23-2006, 04:47 PM

Good Afternoon Linda,

I have to say that I am learning how some things work in the Native American culture. Sadly, if someone wants to belong to a particular tribe, he or she may be forced to deny their "other" connections. A person will probably have to "choose" which race/culture they will identify with. Also, for someone like me, I no longer live in Mecklenburg Co., VA so I probably will never be "officially recognized" by the state and/or federal government:rolleyes: But, I've accepted that because regardless, I am who I am:)

Erica

Debi
08-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Linda,

Where do I find out about my SE NA family Surnames and what they possibly were?

Family names are:

Collins, Goins,Pinson,Clay,Damron, Martin and Napier

They were from VA/W.VA/NC...then spread over into TN and KY.......from there we are scattered to the 4 winds.

Thanks for your time,
Debi

PS.
My new e-mail address is:
dforfa1@comcast.net

Bill Childs
08-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Debi,
Please post specific names and dates for these specific people.
Bill

Linda
08-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Bill, she has some of these specifics posted here: http://www.saponitown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2041

Debi, I know you've been reading this forum for awhile, so maybe you've gleaned that Goins is a name that comes up all the time, with many researchers feeling there's a Saponi tie. Collins is another major name, which is a documented Saponi name. I've never been sure how many people there are who can trace directly to those documented people, or if there are just very strong circumstantials tying to them, but many people are convinced their Collins family has Saponi roots. I have a friend with the Pinson line in WV who knows of Indian roots. Clay is a strong name in old Indian families in Mecklenburg, VA, in old Saponi haunts. The other three names I'm not familiar with.

Debi
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Linda,
Thank you for your reply.
I have posted many names, dates and marriages and am still trying to colate and absorb it all. With so many NA stories in the families we're surely going to "bump" into the truth sooner or later.
I did contact someone recently about the Damron family. She has many of them on the Cherokee rolls. I have yet to hear from her though.

Blessings to you,

Debi

tarcarion
08-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Debi,
For your Araminta Clay, I found no less than 4 with different parents within a 10 year span between 1850-60, and listings for Floyd Co. KY and Wayne Co. WV. I'm directly connected to the Clays of Wayne, WV and Floyd KY. The two counties being geographically close, the Clay family can be found frequently in either county. I also have some Napiers from the same area connected to my Copleys (also connected to the Clays). I assume your Araminta's parents were Robert Clay b. about 1820 in NC, and Sarah Margaret Setser b. about 1825 Floyd Co. KY. Araminta married James Franklin Pinion b. Feb 1847, Floyd Co. KY.
James and Araminta's children are;
1. Robert E. Lee Pinion b. July 1877 Floyd Co. KY
2. Cordelia Pinion b. June 1882 Floyd Co. KY
3. Elijah Pinion b. Sept. 1884 Floyd Co. KY
4. Sara B. Pinion b. Oct. 1887 Floyd Co. KY
5. Ealey D. Pinion b. Jan. 1890 Floyd Co. KY
6. Hendreson Pinion b. Aug. 1893 Floyd Co. KY
7. Lulie A. Pinion b. Feb. 1896 Floyd Co. KY
8. Birdie Pinion b. Abt 1900 Floyd Co. Ky

This info is from RootsWeb. I haven't found much on Robert Clay but being from the Floyd Co. area, I'm sure he's connected to my Clay line. I have not looked at any census data yet for further info. That's more Bill's "area of expertise". I just thought I'd throw this info out for you (sorry Bill, wasn't trying to "steal your thunder"! As always, "You're the man!") Good Luck!

Jim

Debi
08-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Jim,

Thank you for your response......

This is what I have on the Clay family so far.......

AND as always...Bill is still "the man"..:)

Descendants of Jordan Clay

1 Jordan Clay b: Abt. 1777 Amelia/Halifax Co.VA d: Abt. 1856 Wayne Co WV
.. +Mary Cartier b: 1779 Canada d: 1856 Wayne Co WV m: 13 May 1796 in Halifax Co.,VA
...... 2 Lucy Clay b: Abt. 1797
...... 2 Nancy Clay b: Abt. 1798
...... 2 Robert Clay b: Abt. 1799 Patrick or Halifax co. Virginia d: Aft. 1885 Johns Creek,Floyd co. Kentucky
........... +Sarah H. Setzer b: 1820 North Carolina d: 1880 Floyd Co.KY m: 06 Sep 1845 in Floyd Co.,KY
............... 3 Jane Margarette Clay b: 1846 Floyd Co. KY d: 24 Mar 1878
................... +John M. Adams b: 22 Jul 1867
............... 3 Julianne Clay b: 1849 Floyd Co. KY
............... 3 Araminta Ethel Clay b: 20 Jul 1855 Floyd Co.KY d: 22 Dec 1945 Floyd Co.KY
................... +James Franklin Pinion b: 15 May 1844 Washington Co.. VA, Roanoke. area d: Jan 1935 Floyd Co.KY m: 13 Jan 1874 in Floyd Co.,KY
....................... 4 Robert Lee Pinion b: Jul 1877 d: 30 Jan 1923
............................ +Amma Foley m: 1901
....................... 4 Corda Florence Pinion b: Jun 1882
............................ +James Garfield Harless
....................... 4 Henderson "Hence" Oliver Pinion b: Aug 1893 d: 1935
............................ +Lizzie Setser
....................... 4 Malcolm Elijah Pinion b: 24 Sep 1883 Kentucky d: 10 Dec 1971 Peebles ,Ohio
............................ +Emily " Emma" Ellen Collins b: 17 Jun 1890 Floyd Co.KY d: 27 Apr 1983 Peebles ,Ohio m: 05 May 1908 in Kentucky
....................... 4 Lora Bell Pinion b: Oct 1887 d: Florida
............................ +George Cornett m: 23 Feb 1905
....................... 4 Saley D. Pinion b: Jan 1890
............................ +Charles Picklesimer
....................... 4 Louise "Lula" Pinion b: Feb 1896
............................ +Doc Harless
....................... 4 Bertha "Birdie" Pinion b: Sep 1900 Tram ,Kentucky d: 02 Aug 1988 Clyde, Ohio
............................ +Berle Thompson
............... 3 Jefferson D. Clay b: Apr 1861 Floyd Co. KY d: 05 Jun 1912
............... 3 [1] Polly Clay b: Mar 1863 Floyd Co. KY d: 1952
................... +George Robinette
............... *2nd Husband of [1] Polly Clay:
................... +Daniel K. Wireman Sr.
............... 3 John Clay b: 29 Feb 1868 Floyd Co. KY
................... +Martha Hite
............... 3 Flemming Clay b: 28 Apr 1859 Floyd Co. KY d: 20 Sep 1859
...... 2 John Clay b: Abt. 1800 Patrick or Halifax Co.VA
...... 2 James Clay b: Abt. 1804 Halifax Co.VA
...... 2 Caleb Clay b: Bet. 1804 - 1805 Halifax Co.VA
...... 2 Jane "Jenny" Clay b: Abt. 1805
...... 2 Peter Clay b: 1807 Patrick Co. VA
...... 2 Sarah "Sally" Clay b: Abt. 1812 Patrick Co. VA
...... 2 Mary "Polly" Clay b: Abt. 1815 Patrick Co. VA
...... 2 Elizabeth Clay b: Abt. 1817 Patrick Co. VA
...... 2 Matthew Clay b: 1820 Floyd Co. KY

tarcarion
08-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Debi,
Well hello cousin. I descend through Caleb Clay b. 1804 s/o Jordan Clay and Robert's brother. We'll have to compare notes sometime on the Clay family.

Jim

BlackVelvet
09-02-2006, 11:26 PM
How does one find the Southeastern American Indian Family Surnames list?

Debi
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Linda,

In your previous post you mentioned:

"I have a friend with the Pinson line in WV who knows of Indian roots. Clay is a strong name in old Indian families in Mecklenburg, VA, in old Saponi haunts."

How would I get this Pinson information?

Thanks for yor help.

Debi

Debi
09-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Linda,

Please forgive my ignorance but what is this Old Saponi haunts that you speak of?

Linda
09-06-2006, 10:22 PM
The old Saponi haunt I'm referring to would be the general vicinity of Fort Christanna, which was in Brunswick County, VA.

Contact Patrick Pinson at Cedar Mountain Drums, www.cedarmtndrums.com. (He also makes great hoop drums.)

Sheree
09-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Linda,

Where do I find out about my SE NA family Surnames and what they possibly were?

Family names are:

Collins, Goins,Pinson,Clay,Damron, Martin and Napier

They were from VA/W.VA/NC...then spread over into TN and KY.......from there we are scattered to the 4 winds.

Thanks for your time,
Debi

PS.
My new e-mail address is:
dforfa1@comcast.net

what Napiers are you looking for Debi?

Sherry

Debi
09-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Linda,
Thank you for the information on the Pinson's and the old Saponi haunts.:)

Debi

Debi
09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Sherry,

This is the Napier family that I descend from. The information is a compilation of information from a few family members and what I have been able to find on my own. If you have anything to add or change, feel free. I can use all the help I can get. I have only been working on this side of th family for 2 years.

Descendants of Edmund Napier

1 Edmund Napier b: Abt. 1744 Albemarle, Virginia
.. +Sarah Corns b: Abt. 1748 Albemarle,Virginia m: Abt. 1773 in Kanawha co. Virginia
...... 2 Thomas Franklin Napier b: 28 Jun 1774 Virginia d: 1859 lick Creek, Wayne Co., W. V.
........... +Haney "Henrietta" "Hannah" Smith b: 1778 Culpepper, Chesterfield Co.(Rockingham Co.), VA/Chesterfield Co., VA d: 1862 Wayne Co., W. VA m: 1800 in Kanawah Co. W.VA
............... 3 Moses Franklin Napier b: 02 Mar 1807 Cove creek,Kanawha Co. Virginia d: 17 May 1884 Wayne Co. West Virginia
................... +Vicey Adkins b: 09 Oct 1810 Cabell co, Virginia (now West Virginia) d: 20 Feb 1895 Wayne Co. West Virginia m: Mar 1826 in Cabell Co. VA
....................... 4 Youngea Napier b: 15 Sep 1827 Cabell Co. Virginia (Now W.VA) d: 16 Aug 1913
............................ +Elizabeth Wooten b: 29 Mar 1841 Kentucky or Cabell co VA d: 28 Nov 1925 m: 29 Aug 1860 in Wayne Co. WV
................................ 5 William Napier b: 19 Jun 1861 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA) d: 14 Oct 1933 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA)
.................................... +Nancy
................................ 5 Alfred Napier b: 30 Dec 1862 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA) d: Abt. 1865
................................ 5 Moses Napier b: 06 Dec 1864 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA) d: 26 May 1882
.................................... +Nancy Ellen Frasher b: 1865 d: 1954 m: 06 Apr 1882 in Wayne Co. WV
................................ 5 Linsey(Lindsey) Napier b: 02 Feb 1867 Wayne co, West Virginia d: 06 May 1945 Jacob W. Finley Cemetery Wayne co WV
.................................... +Perlina (Paulina) Finley b: Oct 1860 West Virginia
................................ 5 Vicy Jane Napier b: 09 Nov 1869 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA) d: 23 Nov 1912 Albert J Frasher Family Cemetery Lick creek Wayne co WV
.................................... +Jimison Frasher b: 1859 d: 1928 m: 31 Jul 1883 in Wayne Co. WV
................................ 5 Tennessee Napier b: 18 Mar 1872 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA)
................................ 5 Maggie Napier b: 09 Oct 1874 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA)
................................ 5 Naomi Napier b: 02 Mar 1877 Wayne Co WV
................................ 5 youngey(a) Napier b: 27 Jun 1880 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA) d: 07 Mar 1957 Wayne Co WV
................................ 5 Sherman Napier b: 21 Nov 1882 Wayne Co WV
.................................... +Selena Adkins
................................ 5 Elizabeth Napier b: 28 Apr 1885 lick Creek ,Wayne co WV d: 28 Apr 1916 Beech Hill, Mason co.WV
....................... 4 Hannah Napier b: Abt. 1830 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA)
....................... 4 Margaret "Peggy"Napier b: Dec 1834 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA)
............................ +William David Frasher Jr. b: 1829 d: 1913 m: 11 Mar 1852 in Wayne Co. WV
....................... 4 Mary Jane Napier b: Abt. 1837 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA)
....................... 4 Haney Napier b: Abt. 1839 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA)
....................... 4 Christina Napier b: Abt. 1841 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA)
............... 3 Edmond Napier b: 1810 Virginia d: 27 Nov 1863
................... +Ella Watts b: Abt. 1809
............... 3 Hannah Napier b: Abt. 1811
............... 3 William Napier b: 03 Aug 1812 Wayne Co. West Virginia
................... +Nancy Margaret Queen b: 1818 m: 16 Dec 1836
............... 3 Patrick Hughes Napier b: 1810 Wayne Co. Virginia d: Abt. 1874 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA)
................... +Perlina Watts
............... 3 Henrietta " Haney" Napier b: 13 Dec 1819 Wayne Co., VA (now W.VA) d: 05 Mar 1856 Wayne Co., VA (now W.VA)
................... +Covington Collinsworth m: 31 Jul 1835 in Cabell Co. VA
............... 3 Margaret "Peggy" Napier b: Abt. 1818 Cabell co, Virginia (Now W.VA)
............... 3 Sarah "Sally" Napier b: Abt. 1820 Wayne Co. Virginia (now W.VA)
............... 3 Robert Napier b: 06 May 1824 Wayne Co. W.Virginia d: 01 Aug 1903 Wayne Co., W VA
............... 3 Adam Napier b: 25 Jul 1826 Wayne Co. West Virginia d: 01 Nov 1908 Community Memorial Gardens
................... +Susannah Finley b: 1829 d: 1901 m: 1845
............... 3 Hezekiah Napier b: 1832
...... 2 Edmond Napier b: Abt. 1772 Virginia
...... 2 Patrick Napier b: Abt. 1770 Virginia

Painted Horse
07-12-2008, 08:13 AM
How does one find the Southeastern American Indian Family Surnames list?

I may have over looked this, but did I miss the answer to this question? I start off looking for one thing, then before I know it I am off on another trail.

Dreaminghawk
07-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Amy,
Linda is referring to a list that Richard Haithcock put together some years ago. I will see if it is in the first book he published.... I have a copy. If it is, then I will make a copy of the list and run it over to you..... after we get back from Sunday's powwow.... one afternoon next week.

dakota54
07-29-2008, 02:17 AM
I don't know if I'm posting in the right place, but I am researching/looking for my Native American ancestors. Some of my ancestors names are:
Boling/Bowling/Bolin, etc.
Pennington
Cornett
Sizemore
Roberts
Couch
Combs
Burns
Adkins
Jordan
Senters/Centers
Clifton
Ratcliffe
Ratliff

More later: can't remember them all.

Steve-o
07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
As far as the Adkins go (from both posts above), a definite Shawnee connecction is there & possibly goes back to the Powhatan...possibly the Pamunkey, but not knowing who William Adkins parents were at this time, makes it merely speculatory. However it is felt that a Jamestown connection is likely.

All the Adkins in Wayne Co. are descendants of William Adkins/Elizabeth Parker.

Nothing on the Napiers (called "Napper" by the Wayne Co. locals ) to indicate anything native. Not saying there isn't, but nothing concrete to grab onto at this time. However they are another major family in Wayne Co. W.V. along with the Ratcliff family.

As far as the Sizemore line, there is enough evidence to "believe" that there was/is an Adkins connection. As far as determining who exactly had a child with Mary Alice Sizemore is speculative at best. But another Wm. Adkins descendant did marry a grand-daughter of hers, which leads to the belief that because of M.A. Sizemore having a child with the Adkins name, and the location, that there was (most likely) an Adkins who was the father. Thus yet another Shawnee connection.

This is all being pretty heavily researched at the time, along with many other western W.V. (Wayne, Cabell, Logan, primarily)/eastern Ky. (along the Big Sandy region) families. Heavily connected, as it appears they all traveled to the same areas when researching records from Va., W.V., and Ky.

I am related to most, if not (by now) all, of Wayne Co. and nearby counties, and over into the Big Sandy region. As would be anyone who descends from the Adkins. Every other maternal line I descend from ties into the Adkins line in some way, and more leads to other families left to be verfied.

Dreaminghawk
07-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Bowling (and its many variations) is the most obvious surname to have saponi/powhatan connections. Search this site for a plethora of info on this surname.

spilleddi
08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Debi,

I don't know about Albemarle VA Napiers, but there are Nappers out of Louisa County VA that claim Indian ancestry. A branch of that family ended up in Ohio and claim to be Cherokee.

Search Napper under the geneology forum, and you'll find more on that.

melungeon
08-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Hello Dakota,

I have Sizemore and Roberts ancestors- which ones are you looking for? I actually have double Roberts , even though NC stated my Roberts ( see the avatar, my grgrgranmaw Ussley Roberts) belonged to them i.e. Cherokee, my research has led me to believe more likely remnant Tuscarora ( thru Cheraw). My line of Sizemore has tested NA thru DNA which in itself is interesting because it was a male line. If you give me some given names I can see what I have, but the best researcher for Sizemores is Joy King you can get info on her at this website:

http://jgoins.com/janetpicpage.htm

see the link below for some Sizemore family information including the DNA results

http://www.geocities.com/ourmelungeons/genealogy.html

Also, Starr this would be a good site for you to visit.

aanimiikii
08-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi!I am so excited that my typing may really bite, please forgive me!

My Name is Sandra F. Collins, call me Sandie

I will start with my paternal family names and dates, locations when know. I will probably do a few separate posts over the next few days so please forgive me if this is difficult.

Starting with My Father, Jack L. Collins b 18 Aug 1929 mccvay Ky, died 10 July 1993 Lexington Ky.
Lawrence "Bozo" Collins b. 180jan 1907 richmond va dd. sep. 1975 Wyandotte, Mi.
M. to Polly Ann Adams b.18 dec 1906 E. Whitesberg Ky.

Son of Martin "Mark" Collins, b.1859 Ky died btwn 1916-1920 with wife in a buggy accident, location unknown.
m. Martha Banks b. aug 1889/91

Son of Elbe Collins b. jan 1822 hancock co, tn d 1905 Floyd co ky
m.Kate Gibson b 1822 Tn

son od Allen Collins b 1802 tn
m Rachel Reed

son of Vardy Collins 1764 Grayson co. Va
m Margaret "spanish Peggy" Gibson

son of Samuel Collins son of Thomas Collins.

Next visit I wil follow the Banks, Adams, Cooks,Whittakers, Harris, Clays McCubbins Roarke etc.

Please feel free to communicate, Sandie

DHarden
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome Sandie. My ggg grandmother Sallie Ray Harris (She was Indian we believe Occaneechi) lived with a Allen Collins his wife Elizabeth Collins, Nancy Strayhorn, and James and Nannie Whitakers. This was according to the 1860 census of Orange County North Carolina. I wonder if there is any relation to your surnames? I just went to the Harris reunion this past sunday looking for clues on Sallie Harris.

aanimiikii
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi, thanks for writing, I have quite a few whittakers down the line, as of yet I have not found a wife by the name of Elizabeth living with Allen Collins but I will be on the look out ! have a great day! Sandie

cherosage
08-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Welcome, to the board, Sandie.

knoxwanda
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Linda,
Do you know if Amos Collins, or John Collins are on any Indian roll? and is John, Amos 'es son

Jack Adkins
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
As far as the Adkins go (from both posts above), a definite Shawnee connecction is there & possibly goes back to the Powhatan...possibly the Pamunkey, but not knowing who William Adkins parents were at this time, makes it merely speculatory. However it is felt that a Jamestown connection is likely.

All the Adkins in Wayne Co. are descendants of William Adkins/Elizabeth Parker.

Nothing on the Napiers (called "Napper" by the Wayne Co. locals ) to indicate anything native. Not saying there isn't, but nothing concrete to grab onto at this time. However they are another major family in Wayne Co. W.V. along with the Ratcliff family.

As far as the Sizemore line, there is enough evidence to "believe" that there was/is an Adkins connection. As far as determining who exactly had a child with Mary Alice Sizemore is speculative at best. But another Wm. Adkins descendant did marry a grand-daughter of hers, which leads to the belief that because of M.A. Sizemore having a child with the Adkins name, and the location, that there was (most likely) an Adkins who was the father. Thus yet another Shawnee connection.

This is all being pretty heavily researched at the time, along with many other western W.V. (Wayne, Cabell, Logan, primarily)/eastern Ky. (along the Big Sandy region) families. Heavily connected, as it appears they all traveled to the same areas when researching records from Va., W.V., and Ky.

I am related to most, if not (by now) all, of Wayne Co. and nearby counties, and over into the Big Sandy region. As would be anyone who descends from the Adkins. Every other maternal line I descend from ties into the Adkins line in some way, and more leads to other families left to be verfied.

Tracing the Adkins line is difficult at best. It goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time. But it is neat to know that Chief Hokoleska may be a great(xn)grandfather. I personally have 3 different Adkins lines intersecting with my family both on the maternal side and paternal side. I think Parker V. Adkins is supposedly the father of Littleberry Adkins son of Bluesky, (daughter of Chief Hokoleska i.e. Cornstalk)

Steve-o
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
I got you beat on how many times I descend from the Adkins...last count...7 times from the same line, due to intermarriage. They had a pentiant for marrying their cousins. All trace back to William & Elizabeth Parker Adkins (My great grandmother was an Adkins descendant as well as my great grandfather). Some say this is hogwash, but I traced 200+ Adkins marriages in Wayne Co. WVa. and they all, wives and husbands, are William & Elizabeth's descendants. One writing stated there were 11 different lines of Adkins in the county which is totally false.

From what I have dug up in records and writings over the years, there is no "supposidly" about Little Berry being the son of Parker. And it appears that most of the Adkins lines in Va.& WVa. all connect to William Adkins (Eliz. Parker). Their (Adkins family) migration can be traced from the James river to western WVa./eastern Ky. Hints to them being in Jamestown are out there, but nothing confirmed.

Linda
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
So the Adkins related to Cornstalk came from eastern VA? A Chickahominy Adkins? From a family that migrated to eastern KY and hooked up with Cornstalk? Wasn't he Shawnee? Is that what you're saying?

Jack Adkins
09-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I think they were located in mid VA and Parker V. was one of those people who went west and claimed land as was going on then. While he was off doing his thing he apparently hooked up with Cornstalk's daughter and had a son named LittleBerry. I'm sure his wife (Mary Adkins) was not happy about this turn of events. Now, oddly enough there is a man named Little Berry Adkins buried in the Chickahominy Cemetary. Is there any connection? I don't know, but obviously from the date he is not the same LittleBerry. It's one of the great things about trying to trace the Adkins line. Oh, and yes Chief Cornstalk was Shawnee. Wasn't Kentucky originally part of the incredibly large territory of VA? Parker V. Adkins was not an indian but a white man. At least that is what I believe though I have no proof one way or another.

MarcSnelling
12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
My Surnames are, Simon and Osborn Jeffreys, Hill, Norfleet, Rhodes, Walker,Chisholm, Ryves,Chism, Green, Thomas, Brown, Davis, Martin, Webb, Nordin, Fuller, Carroll, Daniel, Webb, Mathews, Emmons, Grubbs, Bennett, Mayes, Laymon or Lehmann, Reeves, Green, Ford, Maxey, Lewallen, Walden, Rhodes, Spear, Cotton, Blair,Harrell, etc.

Harrell, Cotton and Llewellyn are ancestors names in my g-grandmother Maude Marshall's line.