PDA

View Full Version : Hayes/Hays surnames

EagleEye
10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi....EagleEye/Carl Stanford here...Doing research on my Mother's side...Her Mother was a Hayes...We were always told that she was Indian..She looked like an Indian..She didn't talk about it and neither did my Mom, she looked just like her....I found my GGrandmother in 1910 census as Rhael S.A. Hayes and 1900 as Rhal S. Phillips, Phillips being her second husband....Is Rhael a name or is it short for Rachel, does anyone know....anyway, she was widowed twice and always went back to her maiden name Hayes...I am researching S.A. Hayes with a daughter named Rachel, things seem to fit....S.A.Hayes, in 1870, and family, including Rachel, lived in Eagle Mills, Iredell Co. North Carolina...In 1860 I found him in Mayfield, Graves Co. Kentucky, in 1850, Dist.1, Graves Co., Ky...and in1840 Huntington, Ross Co., Ohio......Haithcock/Haithcock wrote an article on Occaneechi, Saponi and Tutelo of the Saponi Nation: the Piedmont Catawba and listed the surname Hayes/Hays as one of their ancestoral names...Going on to say that surname Hayes/Hays was one of the descendents of the Occaneechi who survived Bacons rebellion of 1676, and those who settled in Fort Christianna in Virginia with the Tutelo and Saponi Indians forming the Saponi Nation in 1713...They listed the core family names and Hays/Hayes was among them....I am still trying to make that definite connection........EagleEye....Happy Hunting..

melungeon
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Hello

Hayes/hays, is my brick wall. I have the same family story that she ( my 3 gr granmaw) Mary Hays was Indian. My Mary Hays was b circa 1863- d circa1930. She married John Hopkins. They were also from Kentucky. I wish I could help you more as it would mean I knew more LOL:D I too saw the name in Haithcocks work. John was from Tennesse. The Hopkins were also considered very dark. I think unfortunately that many of our families were remnants of various tribes that although they kept many of their " ways" they did not necessarily keep their affiliation especially if they lived among the white general population, it was not popular to be NDN in those days, especially in the areas these famiies were from. It really is too bad, all you hear is that they were Black Dutch ,Black Irish, Blackfoot NDN etc.

daniel_bingamon
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
I have an ancestor, Judith Hays from Westmoreland PA b.4 Jun 1806 and died 1871 in Clermont Co. Ohio.

asahikaru
11-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Do you know if any of her family members were Haiths?

daniel_bingamon
11-07-2008, 10:42 PM
This name has been pretty elusive to me as well.
The closest name to Hays in Westmoreland Co PA is Haycock.

I saw some Haiths list in Philadelphia PA around 1800 on ancestry.com

I noticed the name Haas, I wonder if it is a variation of Hays.

daniel_bingamon
11-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I found this today, http://genforum.genealogy.com/hays/messages/4337.html
I've been trying to find out more in the Hays lately - not sure if they're related.

Linda
11-09-2008, 08:24 AM
I've talked to Richard Haithcock and he believes the Haithcock name, and all its variants, go back to a Saponi name, I wonder if it might not even be a clan name in that context?? I don't recall it being one of the six or so names that are documented to tribal Saponi. This may be more if an oral tradition kind of thing, there won't ever be that kind of legal documentation. I believe he also mentioned Haithhens, and this was a very common bird in those days.

Haas, though, I'd think was German, from the spelling. I know early spellings were all over the map, but it doesn't look like the kind of spelling someone non-German would cook up.

EagleEye
11-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks Melungeon,Daniel, Asahikaru and Linda for responding to my Hayes/Hays Surname inquiry....Been out of pocket for while....There are many ways to spell Hayes and I think what Linda said holds true for some of them....My people only used Hayes/Hays spelling....Thanks again...Carl/EagleEye....Good Hunting....

melungeon
12-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Found this last will and testament from Albemarle County. It included some other names of interest to some on here.

http://ftp.rootsweb.ancestry.com/pub/usgenweb/va/albemarle/wills/h2000000.txt