PDA

View Full Version : looking for my lineage

j r
01-18-2002, 03:09 PM
hello everyone!
i was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of tracing out my grandmother's ancestors. she was a full blooded blackfoot. she lived in the kentucky-indiana region. her name was irene and she married my great-grandfather who was a run away slave turned union soldier. his name was nathaniel graves. they would lived around the turn of the century. any info would be appreciated.
thank you.

vance hawkins
02-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Mish I could help. Doubt it tho.

My ancestors went from Virginia to Indiana (Richey ancestors, descended from Wood(s) and Dickson/Dixon's also). John Richey b. Va. 1797, d. Ark. 1861. Family moved to Indiana before 1818 and to Ark. about 1844. Two of John's sons (Joseph, my g-g-grandpa) and Hamilton Richey are on "slave schedule" census in 1850. Joseph died in 1852 and Hamilton is still on "slave schedule census" n 1860. He married Joseph's widow (my g-g-grandma) and raised my great-grandpa, Jeffrey Hoten Richey. I do not believe it is a coincidence that in 1846 the treaty was signed forcing all Indian peoples to leave Arkansas ( they were given one year of amnesty) and by 1850 they were enslaved. Both were born free.

I hope you find your ancestors.

vance hawkins

wonderingwolve
09-30-2002, 11:45 AM
j r while i hope that there is someone who could help us. I'm also looking for my ancestors. my great grandmother was a full blooded blackfoot. my father is almost full blood my grandmother and father registered us many years ago but i can not find anyone to help me find the information on who i can talk to to get this. my ancestors or all from the Canada area. All i know is that my great grandmother was full blood blackfoot indian and that she married my great grandfather which was agensted the law then. i hope that someone can please help us. my just who we can call or email or even write too.

wonderingwolve

Linda
09-30-2002, 11:50 AM
WW -- I wonder if your family weren't from the "regular" Montana related Blackfoot. Don't they also have a reservation in Canada around Alberta? Whereabouts were your people living?