PDA

View Full Version : Daniel surname Northeastern N.C.

mdsmokedancer
05-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Chwe'n again,
Does anyone have Daniel surnames in there family from the northeastern N.C. and southeast Va. area. My gggrandmother was Zilpha Daniel,she moved from one county to another as far as I can trace,I think she was in Edgecombe,Northampton. I think she was born about 1772 I think in Edgecombe County N.C.,there are Daniel among the Meherrin and Haliwa Saponi and Tuscarora.She married John Woodard,which is another Indian surname of this area. Does anyone have this line in their family or know this Daniel family?
Oo-neh
Mike
Joo'-nah-geh'

quest for facts
11-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I do hahahaha;)

sammarroq
11-04-2006, 12:31 PM
I have Mary Polly Daniel, who married George Gibson 1831 Perry Co. KY. I have not researched this line so I am unsure of their origin.

Shirley

sammarroq
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Mike,

I found a Zipha Daniel Edgecomb, NC. Don't know if she's yours?

Name: Zipha Daniel
Birth: Edgecombe, North Carolina, USA (United States )
Parents: Joseph Daniel, Sarah Barnes
Spouse: William Dickinson

Her father Joseph was b. 1747 Edgecomb; no birth date listed for her.

lentz of nc
11-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Are you related to the Sarah Barnes?:)

mdsmokedancer
04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Zilpha married John Woodard,a descendent of the Woodard traders,that married Indian women. This Daniel line traces to John and Littleton Daniel of the Gingaskin Rez of Northampton County VA. These Daniels are (John and Littleton are always listed as "Indian" on the court records of Northampton County,not as Mulatto,like some of the other Gingaskin Indians are referred as. I am assuming that they were fullbloods and not mixed.

Oo-neh
Mike
Joo'-nah-geh'

mdsmokedancer
04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I do hahahaha;)

I Knoooooow cuzin!

Oo-neh
Mike
Joo'-nah-geh'

mdsmokedancer
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Linda knows this whole line leading to the Gingaskin Rez.

Oo-neh
Mike
Joo'-nah-geh'

mdsmokedancer
04-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Mike,

I found a Zipha Daniel Edgecomb, NC. Don't know if she's yours?

Name: Zipha Daniel
Birth: Edgecombe, North Carolina, USA (United States )
Parents: Joseph Daniel, Sarah Barnes
Spouse: William Dickinson

Her father Joseph was b. 1747 Edgecomb; no birth date listed for her.

My Zilpha Daniel was married to John Woodard,their daughter was Martha Woodard. Zilpha traces to Simon Daniel.
Oo-neh
Mike

beeleaf
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Daniel was my g-g-grandmother's maiden name, but I'm not sure where the dots might connect. Her name was "Mattie" Daniel who would have lived in Patrick/Henry County, VA. She married Thomas Turner, a primitive Baptist preacher.

I think I found them on the 1900 PCVA census. Mattie's name looks like Surrepta M. The surname Daniel shows up in early Henry County, but I have yet to figure out who Surrepta Matilda? belongs to.

crazyhorse
05-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Hello, a cousin of mine and I are researching the Daniel family of Patrick and Henry, VA. She has traced your family line but has hit a dead end? This is the first time we have ever heard about a Joseph Daniel and Sarah Barnes. Here is what she has on your line and you can tell us if she is wrong or not and possible help fill in the blanks.
Matilda Daniel, they called her Til, born January 12, 1852 died 1929, married Thomas Turner, May 26, 1855, died May 4, 1920, She is the daughter of James M. Daniel and Elizabeth Jane Spencer, They had
Mary who married a Moore
Lucy who married Dephus Joyce
Ben and Tommy, Don know who they married
They also had Minnie married Tom Shelton
Sam married Debi Dotson , second wife Pearl Joyce.

James Daniels father of Baily Daniel who married Pheobe Trent his father was John Franklin Daniel who married Lavina Wilson, his father was John who married Unknown? We think her first name was Abigail? His father was John Jr. that married Mary? and his father was John Daniel Sr. who married Elizibeth Marmaduke , and second wife Sarah Weatherspoon.
Somehow this family connects to the Hanbys of Northampton, Robbins, and the Hancocks. Elizabeth doesn't have all this in stone, but she has researched thsi line pretty well? How does Joseph Daniel fit into the Northampton Indian group? Vickie Lomon

crazyhorse
05-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know how Joseph Daniel and Sarah Barns connect to Northampton county, VA. We are researching a John Daniel who married Elizabeth Robbins, daughter we think of Col. Obedience Robbins. This family is very hard to trace. We have had our Daniel DNA tested and we matched a Barton Daniel, Basil, Edward, Brittian Daniel and others, but records were destroyed in Henry county. Edward Daniel was in Henry county, about 1776, we don't know for certain who his father was. Basil born Nc. left NC. Came to Davidson county, TN. then traveled to Illinois then came back to Ark. Barton Daniel was in Salisbury District, about 1758, wife Delilah we belive, she died in Illinois. Could this Joseph Daniel be related to this family of Daniels in Northampton, VA? Vickie Lomon email vlomon@tds.net

beeleaf
05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Daniels in Patrick and Henry county, VA.

Hey Crazyhorse,

Thanks for that info! Had never heard that Matilda was called "Til". I descend from Matilda and Thomas Turner's daughter Lucy. Her first husband was Cephus Joyce (according to my grandmother). I've seen mention of a John Henry Cephus Joyce, but was never sure if he was the same fellow. Cephus died before I was born. The great-grandpa that I grew up with was Lucy's second husband, Raymond Shore.

Want to make sure I'm reading your last paragraph correctly. Was James Daniel's father Bailey or John?

Are you from the same line?

In my printout of part of Lela Adams' PCVA marriage transcriptions, there's an Edward Daniel who married Polly Consolvent 24 Dec 1791. (I have also seen an Edward Daniel in NC records, but am not sure if it's the same fellow.) There's also a Nehemiah Daniel who md Kitty Mankin 19 Jan 1826, along with James and Bailey's marriages.

There's a Henry County book, but I apparently copied pages before knowing about the Daniel line. WIll see what else I may have collected.

Thanks, again!

Bee

crazyhorse
05-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Ok, first the Edward Daniel that married Polly Consolvent is the son of George Daniel who was in Patrick and Henry , VA early. Possibly of Brother of Edward Daniel Sr. My Edward Daniel was born about 1750, I find him in the Rockingham county, NC. Records the Holy Matrimony Creek Church being a member from 1776, also Ester Daniel his sister who married Philemon Lacy, Edward Daniel married Anne? We think her last name was Hopkins, They may have married in Shenadoah, VA. 1772, there is a marriage license for a couple by this name. Edward Daniel Sr. was in Henry county, VA. until 1800, he didn't leave there until his finished an order of maintaining a bridge for seven years in Henry county, then he migrated to Grainger county, TN. where he died in 1833. He left a Will naming children, William, Joseph, Ester, Rebbecca, Jemima who married Winfry Mcgree, Others I can't remember right now? Do you have a direct mail descendant that would be willing to have his DNA tested? If you do connect to this line, we would be willing to chip in an pay for the test. It would certainly help fill in the blanks if you descend from Joseph Daniel and Sarah Barnes. We matched a lot of Daniels, yet no one can get past the years of 1776, no one for sure knows who Edward, Basil and Barton Daniel's father was? As to James Daniel being the father of Bailey Daniel, I will call Elizabeth and ask her if she has it in stone? She has always been told our Daniels were in Northampton, VA. migrated with the hanbys to Henry, Patrick areas, and I do believe Nehemiah is related to us. Vic

beeleaf
05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
As to James Daniel being the father of Bailey Daniel, I will call Elizabeth and ask her if she has it in stone? She has always been told our Daniels were in Northampton, VA. migrated with the hanbys to Henry, Patrick areas, and I do believe Nehemiah is related to us.

Thanks, Vic.

No stones are required. ;~) I was just checking my understanding of whether you meant to say that Bailey was the father or son of James. Bailey appears to have md. Phoeby Trent in 1826, while James md. Elizabeth Spencer in 1847. Didn't know if that makes Bailey older than James (as it appears) or if Elizabeth may have been James second wife.

I'm not sure if your questions/comments about Joseph Daniel and Sarah Barnes were intended for me or not. Matilda is the only Daniel I knew about until you posted. I don't know where they were before being in Patrick and Henry County, or after. I grew up knowing some of the Turners, but not the Daniels. Don't know if any of them are still in the area or not. I'm not well-versed on DNA, but it sounds like you'd need the male descendant to be a Daniel, correct?

crazyhorse
05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Elizabeth says she has a census listing him as the father if I understood her correctly? Do you know if they are related to the indians in Northampton, VA?

crazyhorse
05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Do yo have a Daniel male descendant on your line that would be willing to test? We would pay for the kit?

beeleaf
05-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I was actually asking who was James' father. But, since then I put the new (to me) info in google and some more stuff (including a post of yours on rootsweb a few years ago). It appears that Bailey was James' father.

From these bits and pieces, it looks like I'll be adding a few more surnames to my searching:
Trent, Spencer (who I was already related to by marriage), Burnett (again!), Dodson, Lynch, Scott, etc.

I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but someone else has a ton of Trent info, where I saw a mention of the surname Robins. I'll be wading through it, but wanted to mention it before I forget:
http://www.l-dunaway.net/index.htm

I don't remember anyone on that side of the family ever mentioning being Indian, but it would not surprise me if they were.

It's hard to figure whether some of the "ways" were Native, religious, or just plain mountain folk stuff. They weren't exactly mainstream, but it may have been a Primitive Baptist thing.

beeleaf
05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Male Daniel descendant

Do you mean a male with the surname Daniel?

Or just a male from that line?

crazyhorse
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
You are right, Bailey is the father of James Daniel that married Elizabeth Spencer. I called Elizabeth, she wants to know where do you live, she stated Matilda was her great aunt. She lives in Martinsville, VA. Elizabeth knows a Peggy Shore and a Ray Shore, used to know them a long time ago. You guy guys are diffinately related. Is Peggy and Ray are your parents? Please reply. Vickie

beeleaf
05-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I'll be. Yup, I'm definitely related. Ray Shore is my great uncle. His older sister Wootsie was my grandmother. I live in Wallburg, NC (just south of Winston Salem), but grew up in Collinsville and Ridgeway, right outside Martinsville.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

crazyhorse
05-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Elizabeth will want to talk to you, but shes going down to visit her son, so I don't know when she will be back, but when she does can you and her exchange phone numbers, she was so excited when I read her how you were related. She wants to get in touch with you, she doesn't do the computer stuff, she talks on the phone, she is working on our line, she stated all her life her family stated if she wanted to find her Daniel and Hanby families, go to Northampton and then to New Jersey, so far they have been right.

beeleaf
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Sure, I'll be happy to talk to her.

Sounds she has been researching that part of the family for awhile. I'd love to hear what she has found. Do you know if there appear to be any tribal connections in the Daniel line??

Thanks!

crazyhorse
05-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Elizabeth doesn't know what to think about the tribal connections, I say yes, my family was indian, my ggg grandmothe was a Daniel descendant and all through Ark. she was listed as I for indian. She applied to the Dawes census in 1796, but she was rejected, they ran when the gathered them up for the trail of tears, they didn't come on into ARk., until 1848, they came to Oklahoma 1796, was on the Dawes census, she claimed her descendant was a James Daniel who lived on long swamp creek cherokee county, Georgia? We think this may be Edward Daniel's father?

My line goes like this
Edward Daniel born 1740-1750, married Anne? Hopkins 1772,
They had William Daniel born 1799, Henry county, VA. married Martha Patsy Mayes 1821 , Grainger county, TN. They inturn had John Daniel born
1822, who married Mary Annah Jeffreys, also spelled Jeffers, she was the daughter of Marmaduke Norfleet Jeffreys and Hannah Louise Hill.
They had children
John,
Joseph,
Daniel peyton Daniel
Martha,
Melivina
Rachell Evaline Daniel and a Nancy.
Rachell Evaline was born 1858, benton county, Ark. she married William L. Carroll and had Ollie Margret Carroll who married JOhn Wesley Fuller, they inturn had my grandmother Flores Fuller who married Glee Webb.
Do any of these names sound familiar with you? Vickie

beeleaf
06-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Do any of these names sound familiar with you?

Yes and no. Henry County is familiar, anyway. ;~)

The rest of my post is going to be pure pondering...

The Edward Daniel and Anne? Hopkins marriage is interesting. Many years later, a Margaret Elizabeth Daniel md James Austin Hopkins on Dec. 16, 1879 in Henry County. According to the info I found, James was the son of Joseph, who was the son of James Peter Hopkins, who was the son of William. Those naming patterns are similar to your Daniels.

I'm a little confused about the dates you mention for Dawes and Oklahoma?

But, I remembered seeing the last name Daniel in "CHerokee Roots, Vol 1". This may not be the same James Daniel in Georgia, but the following names were on the Henderson roll of 1835 (prior to removal):
James Daniel, John Daniel, Moses Daniel, and Nancy Daniel. All were from Georgia.

I just ordered Vol 2 of Cherokee Roots to have a look at the western rolls. It might at least be interesting.

I'm also learning the CHerokee language. The cool thing about looking through the rolls is that I'm starting to be able to pick out some of the folks who are listed by a different name from one roll to the next.

crazyhorse
06-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I am just starting to work on the Hopkins, I don't know if Elizabeth knows about this information or not, but it could lead to some very big clues. Thank you, when she gets back, I will let you know and you guys can exchange phone numbers, she is just as sweet and she can be, and she's working really hard on this line, Vic. I will start looking for the names you mention, Vic

beeleaf
06-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Okey dokey.

Hey, does this Daniel DNA project look familiar?
http://www.danieldna.50g.com/particip.htm

crazyhorse
06-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Our kit number is 10384, notice we matched Basil Daniel, Brittain Daniel, if you go to the results page look for kit 10384 and look to see how many Daniels we match? Look for the dyns value of 13, that is the specific marker that shows the DAneils that are related to us.

crazyhorse
06-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey email me privately at vlomon@tds.net Elizabeth wants to get in touch with you over the phone.

beeleaf
06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
kit 10384

Thanks. Would I be related to that Edward Daniel, too?

My understanding of DNA results is pretty close to zero.

E-mail on the way.

crazyhorse
06-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Have I missed something here? Has someone from your line already had their DNA tested? If so who was it and what is their kit number?

quest for facts
06-07-2007, 12:55 AM
My DNA came out 81% European 19% American Indian
Linda

beeleaf
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
What do you mean the results are close to zero?

I meant that my understanding of DNA results is close to zero.

Bill Childs
06-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Bee,
Do you or your relatives, recognize or know the location of a "Peters Creek" or "Bull Mountain" in the Patrick/Henry Counties area?
Bill

crazyhorse
06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I know they are in Patrick county, but I don't know exactly where they are located? Bull Mountain, I think is part of a forest or I remember a forest lookout made of wood back in the 40's that was on Bulls mountain in Patrick. Sorry, Vic

techteach
06-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Bee,
This thread discusses two different types of DNA tests or I don't understand them which could very be the case. The Daniel discussions of kit numbers are the male-only tests that look at unbroken lines of males to determine where they came from and who they are related to. There is a female-only test that is called the mtDNA test that looks at unbroken female lines. Males can take the mtDNA test too and determine where their female line came from, but this mtDNA reading is not passed on to their children. The third type of test, that which gives you a percentage estimate of NA is the autosomal test. It is not as well thought of, although it is one that the medical field is looking at to give people medications especially designed for them and also used by the police to ID the race of criminals that the are hunting for. If you have a broken line like I do, the latter is your only choice that I know of to get at the NA. I did this one, as well as the mtDNA. The former registered NA; the latter did not. The results of the former are verified by what I thought from genealogy.
Caveat: the male/female tests only tell you information about direct ancestors, so my great-niece, that is, my sister's daughter's daughter, would have the same mtDNA results as me even though her father was African American.

Techteach

quest for facts
06-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Yea the doctor gave Mom a drug that really messed her up she spent a few days in the hospital he knows better now since he realizes she is 3/8 NA. She has more of a taylor made program now. Thing is he knew she was mixed when he prescribed the drug he just did not realize how much NA she really is live and learn.
Linda

beeleaf
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Bee,
Do you or your relatives, recognize or know the location of a "Peters Creek" or "Bull Mountain" in the Patrick/Henry Counties area?
Bill

Hey Bill,

Yes, I recognize both. My Collins line lived on Peters Creek in both Patrick Co, VA and Stokes Co. NC. Probably many others did, too, but that's one I remember for certain at the moment.

My Dad grew up right near Bull Mountain. Had family in Vesta, etc.

I have a map of Patrick County (from 1976) that locates mills, old school houses, streams, etc.

Why?

beeleaf
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Techteach, thanks.

At some point, DNA testing might be cool. Could get to be quite expensive to test all the curiousities, though. I have an Unknown gr-grandpa, so DNA would likely be the only way to ever trace that line. I think from what I've read, that would require an awkward conversation with a male relative. ;~)

techteach
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, Bee, you will, if you wish to test the male line. I asked my cousin's father and then paid for it. I have been in contact with someone who has cousins from a straight female line. I might have to get back in touch with him and see if he is willing to ask them for a test. It all becomes interesting. I found an Irish project online with lots of surnames that are not part of my family (at least, not directly) but are buried in the same old cemetery as my ancestors who have the same DNA type as my cousin's father. And I bought a book on DNA in the United Kingdom that discusses ancestry of different types of DNA. Kind of interesting. Ths story in the family is that this line brings in the NA. I do believe this, except it is not the male line. The DNA test proved that.

Techteach

Wachinika
06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
quest for facts and techteach,

Yea the doctor gave Mom a drug that really messed her up she spent a few days in the hospital he knows better now since he realizes she is 3/8 NA. She has more of a taylor made program now. Thing is he knew she was mixed when he prescribed the drug he just did not realize how much NA she really is live and learn.
Linda
(This is the first I've ever heard of specific drugs being dangerous for American Indians. Can anyone elaborate on this, either here, in a private message or elsewhere? ~ Thank you.)

quest for facts
06-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't know a lot about this but I'll share want I can. Mom was given Ambien CE I believe it is called. It is a sleeping pill. There have been many reports out of North Carolina about natives having an adverse reaction to this drug. Sleepwalking and hallicinating are some of the reports. Mom was sleepwalking and fell down and broke her arm. Now I don't know if other races have had adverse actions with this drug but I would not doubt it. I do know Natives especially in North Carolina have had many adverse reactions. My second cousin also had an adverse reaction to it as did one of my more distant cousins. One could say it's something in our genetic make up but to many other natives who are not blood related are having reactions too. My advise would be to treat this drug like it has the plague. Also I now firmly believe that a doctor needs to know the racial make up of their patients. Each race does have its own genetic pattern (at least that is what I was taught).
Linda

janette
06-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Hello,

I dont know about this drug but the doctors almost killed my dad the first time he was given kemo.... he lived two more years thankefully but the later doses had to be given very slowly and at 1/4 the normal level.

All this is a serious problem for us.

For me i was given anestesia to have my wisdom teeth pulled. It was a long time ago when they used more and stronger amounts. It took 10 hours for me to come back and was very sick for a very long time. They told me that i almost didnt make it. I seldom use AMA style medical treatments now.

Janette

beeleaf
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Any other Daniel descendants around here? Just refreshing the thread. Cousin Crazyhorse seems to have disappeared, though. :~(

rosebudsaponi
12-20-2008, 03:37 AM
I don't descend from Daniel but my Turners marry into the Daniel line in Northampton/Halifax Co's NC. In fact, on one of the death certs filed in Halifax Co for a direct descendant of this union listed her race as Native American. This is a first "legal" document we have found that shows NA for the Portuguese Settlement.

beeleaf
12-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey Rosebudsaponi,

That is cool.
Mine are said to be from the VA counties of the same names. Do you happen to know whether any of your group ended up in Henry/Patrick Co VA or Stokes CO NC? Probably coincidence, but my Daniel gggrandma married a Turner.

rosebudsaponi
12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
To be honest, I am not sure. The only reason I found these Daniels is because I was following the Turner. Something in my gut tells me no because these people were not very nomadic. Most of my lines never left the area and have been there for 200 years. I guess you could say we don't like change, eh? :D

magnolia
08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm looking for the parents of Josiah Daniel, Sr. born VA ( by grave marker) 1756 & married Priscilla Trent .b. 1765 Va m. 11-12-1787, Campbell Co., VA
Also her mother's parents. Her mother's maiden name was Sarah Powell m. Henry Trent , 1719 Manchester Parish, Henrico, Va.Ther was an Aaron Powell on deeds who married Sarah Taylor, daughter of Anthony Taylor. Aaron & Anthony served together on REV WAR. Anthony married three times . A step-son was John West 3rd wife's son. Anthony was also listed in Court as being the father of a child by a Judith Powell
1777 ? VA.
l

beeleaf
08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Magnolia, is it possible she was married twice?
May be nothing, but search for Trent on this page:
http://files.usgwarchives.org/va/cumberland/vitals/marriages/marr0000.txt

If that's her, it may at least give you a clue where else to look. Tricky working around county formations.

You and I may be related. My line is Bailey Daniel md to Phoebe Trent. AFAIK, nobody in my family has been able to go back further than John Daniel (Henry CO, VA). We don't know for sure where he came from, but a cousin & fellow researcher suspected him being from a Gingaskin Daniel family.

magnolia
08-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Beeleaf,

Sorry about that. I don't know why yahoo did that. I check my spam everytime I log into Yahoo. I never know what I'm missing.

I saw the John Daniel Gingaskin site a couple of months ago when I was googling Daniel/Northampton, Va.

I took notes. My Josiah Daniel was the groom on the Campbell Co. Va marriage record 11-12-1787.

My deceased Aunt Mildred Howard married a McCulloch and had two daughters, Dorothea & Jaqueline. She had moved to Norfolk, VA. In 1950
one of them married a Mike Donahue. His son Mike 's wife Pam has a website: Winslows, Donahues and Beyond... They descend from Pocahantas -check it out.
Some data is not correct. She listed Josiah Daniel, Sr. & and Priscilla Trent
as being married 10 years later -1797 . then, she says my gg-gm , Mary 'Polly' Daniel ,Priscilla's daughter, can't be by Priscilla.
I found "Polly's marriage record 1818. Rowan, NC.
The Campbell Co., VA record lists 2 Josiah's and a Thomas Daniel. I think Thomas is the father of the groom or his uncle. Josiah later had Josiah Jr.
younger than Mary 'Polly'. I think Josiah's father could be John Daniel .
I found the Laniers and Daniels married . Elizabeth Lanier m. Thomas Daniel.
A website I saw said the Laniers and Daniels traveled to Barbados together and Daniel sons were born and baptized there, in St James Parish. I've seen Daniels living in SC and VA. I think they are connected somehow. Maybe, a different Daniel line.

I found a line of 18 generations of Byrds.
Then about 19th/20th gen.
Wm Byrd b. 06-17-1622 London,d.09-29-1672 Martin's Hundred'Charles City County, VA.#1 m. unk --Foster ( Mary Daniel m. Daniel Foster _1st son named Richard-will give more data on that line later.)
#2 Hannah Grendon ( I think she married 4 times/ Thomas Daniel may be another husband) f, Thomas G. m. Eliz. _ ?) lived ? c. 1702 Prince George Co., VA. Son: Wm. Byrd b.07-04-1671/ d. 1672.
son: John B. ( by 1st wife ? Grendon?) next son : Thomas B. had /gs Thomas //gd Elizabeth b.1699-1752 married John Lanier.
Daughter , Elizabeth Lanier m. Thomas Daniel.John L. & Eliz. Byrd had 3 daughters Mary B. madison, Eliza. B. Lanier and Tabitha B. m. Richard Jones.( I've seen records that say Elizabeth B.. Robert Lanier???--if so, maybe she married brothers or John is incorrect.) She had alot of children.
The list includes Josiah, John, Thomas , .etc.
She had a son named, Robert Lanier Daniel.
* I have a note for Capt John Daniel, 1675-1716. generation 20.

Also, I have found a Marmaduke Daniel who married ? Nancy Still-Cherokee. a son m. Emory . relation/ Ludovic Grant immigrant trader , Emory , also Cherokee.

Could Elizabeth Marmaduke be the mother of Marmaduke Daniel?
The site said marmaduke daniel's parentage is connected to John Daniel ( England ) + his wife Ann Jones. Could Richard m. Tabitha be a relation?
Also Ann Jones left a will making the sole executor , son, Thomas Daniel.
What's coincidental is the land is in the VA area where Wm Jones - brother of Peter and Richard Jones lived _ Nazimomd Rd.?
I have notes . have to find exact will date, etc. I thought maybe ( because i haven't checked too much the dates-that Wm might have left the land to Ann ( a sister or mother?)
What do you think? We need help on this.
Also, the other Priscilla trent m. ? 1782 - to ? John Wilson . One of Eliz. Lanier and Thomas/or Robert L. d. daughters sarah . a Willson/Wilson ( I have to check notes)
My maternal gg-gf , phillip Howard had a brother Wilson Howard . I'm trying to locate their unk Howard fathe. he married phillip's mother a rachel Howard , daughter of christopher H. and Rachel ?

( I think NC Gov. Josiah Martin is related to my Jenkins/Parker side, VA)
David Parker m. Sarah Jenkins. Her father's LW&T in Halifax, VA dated 1799 mentions them , family members and his name is John Hickman Jenkins/Genkins on alot of documents m. Anne_? They ha a son, JHJ, JR. and 2 daughters. I have their names and husbands , also. think his father / brother or someone named James Jenkins m. Mary Barnes #1 and Mary Cherry #2.

PS dame3147@yahoo.com is my correct email address.

PPS

Thank you

magnolia

magnolia
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I was surfing last night on my mobile and was able to get into a site about Powhaattan adopting a boy named Thomas Savage-cabin boy. He was the first English settler to learn their language.

Capt Newport 3 ships.-brought Thomas Savage, he is supposed to be the forefather of many tidewater & EASTERN SHORE FAMILIES. Lived near Eastville- Savage's Neck.
On first supply.
Ships;
1 Susan Comfort
2 Godspeed
3 The Discovery aka Great Nusuahocks?)
The Plantation of accomack had 396 persons in 1634.

Commander Obedience Robins ( Nandua Creek to Accomack area)from Northampton , England .
County name changed in his honor.
Gody powell there w. thomas P. had argument with Mrs. Curtis

The area: John Martin 4/1610, Col. Wm waters.
Hannah m. Mr Daniel Crudgey

beeleaf
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I saw the John Daniel Gingaskin site a couple of months ago when I was googling Daniel/Northampton, Va.

Magnolia, do you have a link for the site you mentioned????

Afraid I have no answers. Others in the family have traced our line forward from John. But going backward is difficult. He just seems to have showed up all by himself.

Has been awhile since I saw the research they were doing, but seem to recall there being at least two named Marmaduke.

magnolia
09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Beeleaf !

I have been researching Crazy Horse, NC-GA ( this forum) and the Lanier pages who have a sub-title Daniel . I just found a very good site that goes back 1600's and lists maiden names www.annebabin.com/laniergenealogy.htm (http://www.annebabin.com/laniergenealogy.htm)

I'm having a bit of confusion with messages. I just got yours and Linda's in my email.

I have to go back over Crazyhorse and NC-GA.

My g-gf Morgan Gene Howard b. 1831 m. Sarah Ann Foster b. 10-1832 d. 04-1932. Davie/Rowan, NC.

Her parents were : Daniel Foster ? b. 1788NC & Mary 'Polly Daniel m.
11-09-1818
I'm looking for Daniel Foster's parents, also. His children were:

Richard F. 1820 m. Eliza Garwood. ( on the Taylor Bible records/ general store list)
Squire Wilburn F. b. March 2, 1826 m. Clemmencia Clarisa Click
Andrew Jackson F. 12-27-1830 m. Sarah Dwire ( ? Dwyer)
Ranson ( Ransome) F. 11-21-1822 m. Sarah Eliza Daniel ( She might be the daughter of Zadock Daniel & Sarah Lewis).
Sarah Ann F. ( my great grandmother). m. Morgan Howard 12-18-1856.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Daniel's parents were Josiah Daniel, Sr. b. according to someone who went to Daniel cemetery -Rowan-1756.

m/ Campbell, Co. Va 11-12-1787 Priscilla Trent,b. 1765.
f. Henry Trent m. Sarah Powell ( I'm searching for her parents also)
They are mentioned on Trent website -Dennis Elder Pages.

Josiah Daniel , Sr. I found in 1815 Rowan Tax list , Capt Tabb's Co.
300 acres by Stokes Quarter.
Others on list:
John D.
Zadock D.
Alexander D.
Drury D.

Capt Bessant's Co. 387 acres to 'Polly' Daniel ( she's listed on marr, record as Polly D.) and Betsy D. 25 acres.

Josiah Sr's and Priscilla's children:

1 Mary D. m. Daniel Foster 11-09 1818

2 Wm b.1789 m. Polly Williams m. 08-15-1815.

3 Pallaton D. m. George Lagle 10-10-1822 ( Lagle's had plot next to my gggg-gf Christopher Howard and w. Rachel.) Ellsworth Ck./ Carter's Ck /Linvil;le Ck ?area .)

4. Jane " Jincey" D.( b. 12-26-1794 to 01-09-1865 )m. Alfred McCullough 03-05-1818.

5. Leucy b. 1790 m. John Buckner on 06-24-1807

6. Anney D. m. Hamblin Potts ( some of these moved to Madison Co., TN 1820/1830).

&. James D. ( b. 1790 -1848 ) NC to TN /08-16-1815. m. Mary Mahala Williams.

Thanks Beeleaf

magnolia
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Ann Jones m. John Daniel - LW & T VA 07-11-1749 ,made son, Thomas Daniel sole executor. Land Registry Book 8 Grant 130 acres , p. 428 Isle of Wight, VA & Nazimiond Va.
I found he maried Elizabeth Lanier, Ch: Robert Lanier daniel, Thomas, Wm, John Aaron, Josiah , Sarah m. John Wilson ?, Eliz,mary,Ruth,Priscilla.

Also, found John & Mary ( Stafford) mays beaufort NC ch lived in Pitt Co. Nc also mary may d. 1823 at age 106 yrs buried in Black Swamp, SC.
Some children lived in GA.

John May d.1763 Pitt Co. NC. Ch:

John, Th, Wm, Seth d, SC Josiah, Eliz , Mary, Henry, poss .more

magnolia
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Beeleaf :)

I have to edit my Josiah Daniel, Sr. list . I left out Josiah,Jr. He was born June 20, 1809 d. 01-13-1891 another date of death I found was in TN ( alot of the family moved from NC to TN. ) 04-19-1897.
m. Hannah Foster 12-30-1831.

I found a notation that Hannah's father was Hezekiah Foster. Since Josiah Jr's sister was my gg-gmother Mary 'Polly' Daniel (married Daniel Foster) I wonder if they are related ?

---------------------------------------------------------
Re: Gingaskin Daniels

I read on a site about Marmaduke Daniel ( father thought to be Hugh Daniel.

* Then, I found a Roger Daniel - Immigrant-1595 England to York Co., Va d. 1654. Son 1) Roger , Jr. 1619 b. Eng. sp. Ann LNU.
2) Elizabeth no date 3) Darby 1625, 4) John 1626-16665)
* 5) Hugh b. 1630 ACCOMAC- d. 1641 ENGLAND. 6) Wm b. 1631 Accomac, Va. 7) Thomas b. 1635 .? Va.

(Marmaduke Daniel supposedly married Nancy Still -part Cherokee. One of thier children ? m. Emory , part Cherokee whose grandfather was an immigrant Scottish trader named Ludovic Grant. )

* Miles Cary, a kinsman to Roger Daniel: He "left Roger Daniell land" called " GOALE" previous owner, Goodman Heskins. (Maybe ? Hoskins.)

Also, in a 1761 report in Granville Co., NC on taxation:

"Mulatto, Mustee, Indian"- lists: ' Bass' .

I found Christopher Branch II ?
LW&T 1727--(Wit: Henry Vanderhood, Seth Ward ( I, II, III, ? * married Katherine Smith*), Wm Baugh.

Children:
1) Daughter, Mrs Mary Walters
2) Daughter, Mrs Sissanah Bass
3) Daughter, Mrs Obedience Chetham
4) Son, Henry Branch was ( Wm Branch ? m. Jane Hatcher) brother ?

Wm Hatcher m. Anne Burton, son, Wm 1695-1770 m. Obedience Hambilin Powell ( widow of Henry Powell) . I think her mother was Obedience Branch. 3 husbands.I have also found Anthony Branch deeded to his daughter, mary price. She also married a Ralph Boazman 9-Sr /Jr?and also married Stephen Powell.

I found a notation that Commander Obedience Robbins. m. Grace O'Neill
and that they had a daughter, Elizabeth who m. Daniel (? John D. ).
Thomas Neil's daughter m. Abraham Burton I or II .

----------------------------------------------------------------
JONES

Ann Jones & John Daniel were in Barbados by 1655.

What I see , it looks like Thomas, sole executor of his mother, Ann. is the one that m. Eliz. Lanier.
Children:
!. Robert Lanier Daniel, 2. Thomas, ? (1740-1807)3. Wm 4. John, 5. Aaron, 6. Josiah ( d. bef. 1819), 7. Sarah, Elizabeth, 8. Mary m. John Ward, 9.Ruth, 10. Priscilla.

My Josiah died 1830/40.my ggg-grandfather, Josiah Sr's oldest son was Wm. 1789, 2nd James 1790 , youngest Josiah, Jr. 1809.
No Thomas or james which makes me think Josiah Sr. is from another daniel line . One daughter called 'Jincey" used alot on records of online site: DANIEL DATA NC- EDGECOMBE, HALIFAX, NASH, WILSON, WARREN -
home.comcast.net/../indexhtm

Member Ga-Nc Collins sent site:
Jeffries/Jeffers from the beginning- www.saponitownforum.com/../showthread.php (http://www.saponitownforum.com/../showthread.php)

One site I need to check out more is : NC Courtcases 1819
It lists Daniels and others geographicly: Sapony Ck/Swamp, Beaverdam Swamp, etc.
NC census taken by Francis Jones 1786/87 #58 Halifax District #2 has Daniels: Lewis, Sterling, Jacob O. Daniel, Joseph, Sion, Ambrose, Jas., Wm,
Aaron D. m. Dorcas Powell, Judiath, Ephraim, Hardy, Asa.

Josiah, 2/1806 /adm. Charles Coleman , Ephraim d. buyers: James, Eph.,Widow Lemuel, Penelope Milicent.
Jacob O. Daniel -Halifax 1795 --Th.and Marmaduke Young.
Halifax 1801 Sarah ( Josiah's wife, apparently, to Littleberry Abington --Marmaduke Young, Thomas Lanier, etc.

Thanks Beeleaf

magnolia
09-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi Everybody !

I've seen the Sarah Barnes and Josiah Daniel sites.
I'm still checking out everyone's emails on this page.
you can email me at dame3147@yahoo.com.

I keep surfing -trying to keep up with the data.

I'm basically trying to find the right Josiah Daniel. I did some research and found out that Ann Jones m. John Daniel b. c. 1615 m. 1635.( Eng) who made her son Thomas sole executor had a brother John whose children she named in her will. Joseph Daniel died 09-1712 Prince George Va. His brother, Thomas d. IW 1709 m. Eliz LNU. Joseph on the Quit Rent 1704. died soon after Thomas. Will: 01-03-1711 p. 158 recorded 09-09-1712.

His will : w. Eliz. ? Reece left property to 4 sons 1 dau.

Children: 1 Roger 1692 2 Joseph 1690 3 Thomas 1700/1710 4 John 1694
5 Eliz. 1696. Eliz and brother Dr. John Daniel went to Brunswick, Va--
father of Reece Daniel.

* Thomas Daniel was on a list of Royalist prisoners transported to VA 1657 by Cromwell.
* I read Ann & John were in Barbados by 1655.

* There was a notation that Susan widow of John D. only son, Charles.

* Thomas was by Ann Jones & John Daniel.
I figure the parents of Thomas went to Barbados to get Thomas.

* Joseph Daniel b. 1657 d. bef. 1724. ( probably brother of John ( Ann).

magnolia
09-18-2009, 02:56 PM
The other day I posted some Daniel data.
Last night I found some more.

Josiah Daniel ( father, Joseph , mother, Sarah Barnes)

Edgecombe Co., NC Estate

23 dec 1805
An account of sales by administrators

Daniel buyers: James,Ephraim, Widow ( Treecy), Lemuel Penelope, Milicent, David, Asa, Zilpha, Joseph, Edwin, Levi
--------------------------------------------------------
*White Oak Swamp previously called Peachtree Creek

Est 18 Sept 1806 Sarah Barnes

Admrs.
Asa, Ephraim, Treecy ( Daniel died 1805 -see above)
Isaac, James, Lemuel.

magnolia
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
:)
Halifax was formed from Edgecombe , NC in 1758. I see deeds and wills
Also, called Granville. I think it was originally all one big area under the name Granville/ Abrams Plains District. Wm Daniel, Wm d. Jr ,Drury D. and Hustee ( ? Eustice) D. in the area c. 1767 with James and John Daniel .

Wm Branch w. Eliz ( witnesses for them 1763 Randal & Eliz Daniel .)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In reference to Bailey -I found from Halifax WB 523=3-251
Ambrose Daniel03-09-1795 wife Sarah.
Ch:
Brittain ( Britton) & w. Polly( WB 1815 with Polly and brother Willis)
Willis
cloe
Jesse
Sarah
John
Joseph
Ambrose Jr.
Sion
Mary
Wit: Isles Cooper and Nancy C.

Accts 1821 for grandchildren
Matsy D.
Sally d. Eliz D.
Cloe D.
and grandson -Valentine Bailey by Cloe-" Bond."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Will WB 615=3-332 Has Witnesses : Archibald Daniel, Lewis D.
Wm D. Wm Edward and Jesse Read.

Will of Judith Brinkley 06-20-1797 d. 11-1799

Mentions:
d- Elizabeth Harris w. of Roe Harris
d-Anne D.
d-Salley Cox
d-Prissilla Hart
d- Polley Holt

grandchildren:
Sarah Brown Jones
Joseph John Daniel
Poley D.
Robert Brinkley D.
Wm Henry D.
Leah D.
Eliz Holt
Wm Brinkley, son of Robert Brinkley dec'd
g-d Salley B. d/o Robert Brinkley "

---------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting entry is Edwin Turner b. Halifax, NC/ d. Messina , Sicily
aboard a US Navy ship Will 02-15-1819. Died 8/1819

Mentions sisters:
Temperance Turner Knight m. Abner K.
Nancy Knight wife of Stephen K.
Dorcas Daniel wife of Drury Daniel

-------------------------------------------------------------
One that has the naming patterns of Josiah Daniel, Sr 1756 who I'm supposed to be descended from is granville A 173
Wm Daniel of Chowan to Joseph john Alston of Edg. 14 Oct _
Edg. p. 255 feb 1770 $ to James D. for Fishing Creek Bridge $ ( pounds)
David and mentions Josiah alot
LDS film # 2363644NC

beeleaf
09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey Magnolia,
I'm not sure who is who there, but ya seem to have landed on some more of my relatives. lol

Branch is my surname, related to Britton.

Will have to locate the tax list for Henry Co VA and check dates...have suspected the first name Bailey may have come from a surname somewhere along the way.

Don't remember seeing the name Josiah among us, but who knows.

magnolia
09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi ! Beeleaf :)

Yep! I discovered another Branch line.

I get alot from deeds and wills but, the way they wrote things down
you have to go back over them to figure out ' who's who. If I see any Branch Britton connections I'll post it to you.

You might want to check out the Southall site. They descend from Branch.

magnolia
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi ! Sammaroq :)

I descend from a Mary 'Polly' Daniel born 1797 to Josiah Daniel and Priscilla Trent. I think I saw another Mary related to a Zadock Daniel. NC

magnolia
11-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi ! :D

I found Josiah and many other Daniels on the Pitt County, NC website. I had found the Briery Swamp Primitive Baptist Church minutes. I googled 1827/1828/1829. Josiah died 1830. It has old photos of many families. It's indexed. I got a long list of Daniels -includes: date of death, name, father's name, mother's name, township, volume and page.
Besides Pitt there is Edgecombe and Bertie Counties, NC.

There is Grindle Creek, Tranter's Creek , Letters of dismission from
Great Swamp Meeting House, meeting at Van Norden's Mill, Red banks Church, Shewarky Union,

Families mentioned:
Cooper, Clark, Mason, Lanier, Eborn, Jordan, Barrow, Perkins, Loyd (Lloyd),Boston, Newbern, Moor (Moore), Little, Vick, Harrington, Dudley,
Telfair, Albritton, Bugh ( Baugh)?, Jolly, Tyson, Daniel, Langley, Nichols, Ormond, Ross, Whichard, Buck's (mill), Daniel, Brinkley, Whitehead, Brazel, Jones, Stanly, Congleton, Kinsaul, Staton, Harris, Warren, Cummings, Speir, Hodges, Warren,Bell, Perry, Pearce, Hill, McKeel, Cherry, Bland.

It's a great website. :cool:

Shardel
11-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Magnolia,
Do you have an addy for that website? I'm interested in seeing what
they have on the Ross names.
Shardel

Little Tim
11-13-2009, 05:04 PM
John Henry Danels 1902-1976 - Ben Daniels 1866-1938 and lizzie Morris 1887-1954--Nathan Daniels 1836 -1916 Martha Owens 1839-1918 John Daniels 1816-and Harriet Kelly 1810.

John Henry Danels married Lila Powers 1906 - 1991 parents are Isham powers 1872 ? married Lila 1880. All these are Native Americans but I don't know how.

beeleaf
11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Little Tim, what were their locations?

Little Tim
11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Mostly SC, so NC.

beeleaf
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
What counties?

Little Tim
12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Born in Dillion, SC Lived in Mecklenburg County, NC He pastored churches all over NC and is buried in Rockingham Co., NC

magnolia
12-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi You'all, :D

I recently found another Josiah Daniel. I'm researching Josiah who married Priscilla Trent.

It's been previously posted to me that Josiah was the son of Joseph Daniel & Sarah Barnes ( 1756-1805). The Josiah I'm looking for lived 1756-1830.
If the grave markers aren't wrong and weren't put there ( Fairfield Road - Daniel Cemetery, Davie Co., NC) at a later date - which I suspect because both Josiah's and Priscilla's deaths are both on April 11th? and 1820 & 1830, respectively.

I found that Josiah's Uncle, Hardy Daniel married Julia Barnes. Their children were Lemuel and Elias were born 1745-47.

Hardy lived 1720-1760.

Lemuel married an Anna LNU. They had children:
All circa 1768 + : Josiah, James, Julian, Mary, Nancy and Treecy.

I found Treecy married a " Sims" . I've also seen the name Treecy Powell. ( Priscilla Trent's mother (born VA) was Sarah Powell).

Lemuel's Will is 1821. I haven't seen it,.

(Elias m. Mary Woodard and his niece, Julian, m. a Woodard).

Apparently, Joseph gave land to both his son Josiah in 1779 ( Little Swamp)
and also his nephew- Lemuel, land in 1779 . ( Also Little Swamp)

Later, "Josiah " lived in Rowan, NC. Lemuel died 1821 in Edgecombe.

On the 1790 Rowan census is :

Daniel, Josiah
Daniel, James
Daniel, Lyon * this is a typo- it's Syon/Sion
Daniel, Paul
Daniel, Peter
Daniel, Randal

These Daniel's are related.
( an Ambrose Daniel had a son named Sion, etc.)

I 've been wondering if Josiah and James ( on the 1790 census)could be Lemuel's son's ?
Or maybe -Josiah is Lemuel's son and James is Lemuel's nephew? or Josiah is Joseph's son and James is his sonborn in 1784 or Lemuel's son, James?

Priscilla didn't marry Josiah until 1787 , so, I think their children would be too young to be listed . but, Treecy and Josiah ( Joseph's son) had a son, James born in 1784.

Josiah's son "James" was mentioned in a Court record that said James's
land should go to Treecy the widow and Josiah's heirs. ( unless what I read on-line isn't the whole document).

I don't know why the document was worded that way if James
is referred to as Josiah's son. It seems to be referring that James had a different mother. :confused:

I can't find any information on Lemuel's son Josiah. I 've been thinking that maybe when Lemuel died -his son, Josiah had been dead and his land was given to his other son James and when Josiah ( Lemuel's uncle) died 1805 -the Court decided to give the land that Josiah gave his nephew, Lemuel in 1779- back to Joseph's original grant - to his deceased son's widow, Treecy ? I hope I'm making sense.

beeleaf
12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Magnolia,
Have you seen this site before? There's a contact listed for your line:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lineage/00da.htm

magnolia
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
:):) Hi , again! just went on link in my email.
I posted yesterday.

Thank you,

magnolia